Notices

got thru day two; still can't sleep.

Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

got thru day two; still can't sleep.

ok, it's almost 4:30. and tonight i really need to sleep because i have to go back to work tomorrow. i'm thinking about getting some kind of OTC sleep aid. there's a new one out made by Nyquil. anybody ever try it, or have ANY suggestions?
Old 11-09-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

i wouldn't take anything. sleep is difficult in the early days but you will sleep eventually. tookme 2-3 weeks to get into proper 7hours a night.Its the neural pathways of the brain re-adjusting
Old 11-09-2012, 03:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Its nothing new, just a liquid formulation to work quicker.
sleep will come easier, i take my allergy meds at night, and calcium/mag/zinc supplment
Theres a variety of ways to approach the insomnia, but it takes time to balance out.
The more worked up i get about it, the harder it is for me. Im a natural insomniac
Old 11-09-2012, 04:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I did that for awhile and realized I was abusing OTC sleep meds, and they were causing nightmares which, ironically woke me up.

It get's better in time, both because our body chemistry gets more normalized, and if we work a whole life recovery program, often we find ourselves better able to deal with life, and able to sleep better.

But NOT sleeping is He** on wheels, and exhaustion is a recipe for disaster. I feel for you, it was hard to hang onto sanity for those first few months. I watched a lot of late night Hulu.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have taken benedryl, but even when I did, I could not sleep that early in recovery. My nerves were too bad and I think it would have taken a horse tranquilizer to knock me out. You might have to ride it out. Eventually, you will be so exhausted you will sleep.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Nearly everyone has trouble sleeping in the early days luvcfp.
If it's concerning you or impeding your life I recommend you see a Dr.

What's worked for others here in term of OTC meds may not work or many not be suitable for you: Benedryl for example is not actually a sleep aid, and I've seen threads here from people who've become addicted to it.

take care.
D
Old 11-09-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

hi lu,, in now way am i a gp, but an ex nurse, i take valerian, vits for sleep help,, they are totally herbal and non addictive,,, i also take zinc,, that helps rejuvinate the immune system , and i take kudzu for the anti cravings,, all are totally herbal and non addictive,, i dont see any reason why not , yet some peeps think its "meds" when its not at all,,you can get valerian in health food shops,, or onlie, i only take them when i need a good sleep,, and you can keep them for as such times.
hope this helps,, i know how hard it is for the first few days, and especially when you have to get up for something important the next day,, that can also trigger insomnia/anxiety.
i swear by my vits,, its helped me get to day 8 without any cravins, or sleepness nights at all,, good luck hunny.
xx lv cleoxx
Old 11-09-2012, 02:56 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

ask at your local health shop or herbalist for info xxxxxxxxxx
Old 11-09-2012, 03:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was there a few nights ago...plus nightmares and waking up sweating and screaming. I stuck it out though and now I can sleep all night.

Try valerian...vitamins. try to get some exercise earlier in the day, that might help as well. Stay away from tv/computer screens late at night, read instead.

Also try binaural beats. You can find some on youtube, it's auditory sounds you listen to at night as you try to sleep, that are supposed to effect brainwaves, and induce sleep and relaxation. It may or may not help, but certainly can't hurt.

If it's really REALLY bad and interfering with life, maybe see a doctor of course.