Notices

i was always going to an alcoholic i just did not know it!!!

Old 11-08-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

i was always going to an alcoholic i just did not know it!!!

I have come to accept and realise that a series of circumstances and decisions had me heading to this place where iam at now.

From the abusive stepfather to the alcoholic real father to the place i was brought up in to the people i mixed with, the social and genetic factors my choice of career it all mixed perfectly for me to become an alcoholic.

Iam not angry but accepting and realising this makes me feel comfortable because it was out of my control as such!!
Old 11-08-2012, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Whilst a lot of factors in your life made it easier to become an alcoholic it was you that drank. And now you have realised that the path ahead will be much easier for you to walk on. I wish you the best of luck lionhearted, from a southener to Londoner.

Natom.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When we stop fighting everything and everybody life and sobriety come much easier
Old 11-08-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I agree with Natom. You can have your reasons, and you have your why. You're alcoholic cause you drank.

"Some people have a genetic predisposition to addiction, but because it involves these basic brain functions, everyone will become an addict if sufficiently exposed to drugs or alcohol."
--Dr. Nora Volkow, director of NIDA
Old 11-08-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
I have come to accept and realise that a series of ... decisions had me heading to this place where I am at now.

I am not angry but accepting and realising this makes me feel comfortable because it was out of my control as such!!
This is an interesting conclusion you made, Lionhearted, and fraught with hazard as an old teacher of mine would say. It went better for me when I understood that I can make decisions and regain control of my life by deciding to no longer drink. Circumstances, events, genetics, all contributed in a way to my drinking, but did not excuse it. I took responsibility for both my alcohol addiction and my sobriety.

You do have the ability to make the right choices now. I wish you well with them.