Notices

dont know where to start!!

Old 11-07-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

dont know where to start!!

Hello everyone!

Im a 29 y/o female from sunny Ireland. At the moment i feel lost. i dont know how to start my new journey but one thing I do know is that i need to change my lifestyle before i kill myself. i am a really heavy binge drinker. i go on a night out an drink 6 bud b4 i leave the house.. then drink like crazy whilst out.. instead of goin home id want a party where id drink til 7 am. next day id wake up ill get showered and dressed up an head out an do it all over again. once i start drinking i cant control the amount i take. its usually until i drop. all my friends are the same which doesnt help. i cld safely say i cldx drink any man under the table. I havent had a drink in 7 days. my usual pattern of drinking is 2 /3 heavy days prehaps more depending on circumstances. I fear now that my binge drinkin has affected my liver.. ive been in serve pain all around my liver area and its very tender to the touch. im too ashamed to tell anyone and embarrassed to see my doctor. im scared ill be sent for scans on the hospital ive worked in. i really need to talk to someone who understands how i feel. i called aa tonight but was left feeling v down hearted because the guy cldnt be botherred to talk and simply gave me a number for a local aa meeting. but im to embarressed to go to meetings incase anyone knows me. im terrified of being stigmatised as an 'alco'.. help pls :-) <3 x
Old 11-07-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

You are not alone and we understand how scary it is to be an alcoholic. I really hope you reconsider and talk to your dr. It seems like the right thing to do since you are having symptoms. I hope you decide to stop drinking for good. It will mean making changes in your life, including the friends that you drink with, but it could save your life. Whether you choose AA or another recovery method, we are here to offer support.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi adons welcome I agree see your dr and tell him/her everything it's not going anywhere and it's the ony way it can help you. As for AA if you go and see someone you know then why do you think they would be there. I would think that would be a good thing to find someone you know who is dealing with the same thing you are. 7 days is great you're on your way read around and get to know the site. I think you'll feel right at home.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome!

I really hope you decide to talk to your doctor. It is better to be safe than sorry and well you know your body and if it is bad enough to worry you then you shouldn't take chances.

As for being afraid you'll know someone at a meeting, you could always go to a meeting a couple towns over where it would be less likely that you will know someone. Even if you see someone you know there, they will be there for the same reason you are, to get help. Chances of them telling people about what you said there is slim because they will be there talking too.

Since your friends drink like you do, it is safe to say that if you want a chance at recovery you will need to change the people you hang out with. I know that can seem like a huge change, and it is , but recovery requires LIFE changes. I thought I just hang out with the same people and change and well it is pretty much impossible. Misery lovesd company and well they won't want to see that you have stopped drinking because it will force them to evalute themselves.

Keep reading and posting. If your liver pain gets worse PLEASE seek medical attention. Some things don't go away on their own.

hugs

Maylie
Old 11-07-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thankd for the reply. i feel alot happier having found this site. its comforting being part of a community where each member is going through personal experiences. i need to get to a doctor as the pain in my liver is terrible. its v scarey x
Old 11-07-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know it's scary but you need to know. The liver is an amazing organ that in many cases can heal itself.
Old 11-07-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

((adons)) - Welcome to SR!!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-07-2012, 06:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Maylie thanks for tips of goin to aa in a different town. i feel uplifted knowing im a part of all this. ive decided to say nothing to friends at the moment as i want to keep this personal and close to me for a while whilst i try and figure it all out. first stop tomoorrow is docs to get my liver function tested. thank you all so much this means alot x
Old 11-07-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

welcome adons. one thing i would suggest is doin a google search for "big book online" and doin some reading. it is the text of AA and lays out our program of action to recover.
i am sure that if ya run into someone you know, they are gonna be very happy to see you doin something to help yourself.