Notices

New to this site

Old 11-07-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this site

Hi. I'm a 38yo single mum from Australia. I was saved and baptised in the holy spirit in April 2012 and have been attending AA meetings since June2012. I can't stop drinking. My longest period of sobriety since starting with AA is 29 days. I am sober today - day 1 again.

I am hoping to get some assistance here as I feel like I'm stuck between 2 worlds. There are no Pentecostal Christians I'm my area who attend AA. And I haven't told anyone at church about my disease for fear of judgement. Looking forward to dealing with Christian alcoholics.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is a lot advice and help here. We are all trying to get sober. Alcoholism is a religion of it's own and so is sobriety.
Old 11-07-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

((ButterflyTM)) - Welcome to SR! I'm a Christian and remember praying "PLEASE don't let me use again" but that didn't work. I did find out, though, that when I wanted recovery more than I wanted to keep using, God is more than willing to help me out.

One thing that helped me, when I was first in recovery, was to pray "please let me be willing to be willing to not want drugs any more". I prayed that a gazillion times a day. A while later, I realized I had dropped one of the "willing"s and just kept praying, spent a LOT of time on here, and in time, I wasn't only willing, I was totally fine with not using again.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-07-2012, 01:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Butterfly

I think there is a 'Christians in recovery' forum here too. Hopefully the support you get here too will help you get past those 29 days x
Old 11-07-2012, 01:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, and good for you for taking the initiative to start again! I have had many day ones as well,and this site has been a huge source of support for me. Read and post daily, and find other supports that work for you. The secular section had lots of great group suggestions, and Anna has started a great thread about literature. Women for Sobriety have another website and they have chat rooms and forums with great info. also.

I am a full time working mom of three and I am on day 27. It has been nice to be fully present at both work and home.