Notices

how long before you get addicted to xanax

Old 11-07-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

how long before you get addicted to xanax

I was taking xanax 1.5 mg for 10,days. Is it possible I can have withdrawals? My last dose was 11 pm last night.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. My friend was addicted to them. She ended up in a rehab. She calls then The Devils Drug. Can your Dr give you something else?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I doubt you'll have withdrawals after taking them for such a short period of time.
Old 11-07-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Even if i only took them for ten days?
Old 11-07-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((mcorpus)) - Xanax is intended to only be used for short periods of time. Can't tell you whether you'll have withdrawals, but if you do, I'd think they would be mild.

I take xanax for PTSD and sleep, only at night. I've been taking it for about 3 years, but am not taking it now. I was a bit irritable and couldn't sleep for about a week, but that was about it.

However, if you have any questions, I'd talk to your dr. Different people react different ways, and it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 11-07-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

YES! You can have withdrawals from benzodiazapenes <sp?>after ONE WEEK of daily use EVEN IN SMALL AMOUNTS.

I did, and it was horrible. Hopefully you won't but don't let anyone tell you it isn't possible.

The upside is, you will recover much quicker the shorter time you have been on them.
Old 11-07-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You can get withdrawls. In my case my anxiety worsened every time it wore off. I think the half life is about 4-6 hours? I would stay away from benzos especially if you have depression. I was addicted to ativan for 6 years but ive now gotten off it. Sometimes if im in a real bind or flying i still have to take. 0.5 mg. Im about 180 lbs and .5 gms was enough. Thats a really small dose but beware with benzo. Im no doctor but in my experience ativan is more effective and the half life is much longer, like 15 hrs so you dont have to take it so often. I havnt heard anything good about xanax but i definily had withdrawls and i took it for only 2 weeks but i guess it depends on the individual.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mcorpus View Post
I was taking xanax 1.5 mg for 10,days. Is it possible I can have withdrawals? My last dose was 11 pm last night.
Have you asked your doctor? If not, why not do so?

W.
Old 11-07-2012, 09:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, he originally prescribed me a 30 day script but I read horror stories so i flushed d rest. What are withdrawal symptoms for xanax?
Old 11-07-2012, 10:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi mcorpus.
We can't give you medical advice here, I'm afraid.

Here is the SR Rule in case anyone is unaware of it.

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.

I understand that all who shared are well meaning and trying to help, but the opinions here should not be intended as, or taken for, a substitute for professional advice.

I'd go back and see your Dr.

D
Old 11-08-2012, 12:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Sorry wont happen again. Definitly ask a doctor. My withdrawl symptoms were insomnia and worsened anxiety. Although Im sensitive to even caffeinated drinks i guess everyones may be different.