Notices

Day 6..The stress is Horrendous

Old 11-07-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6..The stress is Horrendous

I am on day 6. I am at work and the stress I am under is horrendous. The more stress, the more my addictive response has always been to get a 1/2 pint to calm my nerves. Then it progresses to more to drink, until I get medicated enough to not feel the stress. I usually keep working until I hit the too drunk level, at which point I try to sober up..then the next day the same cycle.
I am on Day 6...The Stress today is horrendous...but this time I have to break the cycle..I am on Day 6...The stress at work is horrendous...but this time I have to break the cycle..My addiction is SCREAMING for a drink...but this time I HAVE TO BREAK THE CYCLE of letting my ADDICTION take control and 'I' have to face the consequences.

I am on Day 6...The Stress today is horrendous...but this time I have to break the cycle.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

RDB,

I can relate to this. For me, I had to let go of a few things I thought were important to make my life a little less stressful. For example, I love nice cars and had a very lovely BMW that I treasured in a shallow sort of way; I could barely afford to drive it though and once I was sober I realized I was living above my means and I had to downsize my lifestyle or risk staying drunk.

Also, exercise. Drink a big glass of water. Talk to people here or wherever you feel most comfortable. I know how hard it is dude but you can do this.

Old 11-07-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am sorry, work stress can definitely get to all of us. Try going for a brief walk and doing some deep breathing (I had to do that yesterday!)

Not sure if you do yoga or meditation, but it helps.

Hang in there, I am on day 27 and it does get easier.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I so can relate. My work is stressful (Stay at Home Mom and Homeschooling my sons) just take a few moments where you can get some space, whether it's going outside, bathroom, posting here, anything that'll work for you.. Hang in there friend.

Sobriety date: 11-5-12 @8:13pm
Old 11-07-2012, 11:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I drank at work for the past 4 years. I don't know how I held on to my job. I guess I've done my job for so long (14 years) that I could do it hammered. I would come in , sit at my desk, look at my messages, have a drink and start the day. By 3 or 4 in the afternoon I would be buzzing along. Leave, stop by the store and buy some more. I haven't drank in 3 weeks. It was hard to be at work the first 10 or 11 days. Hang in there. Grab yourself something to eat ,that worked for me.
Old 11-07-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have horrible paranoia disorder and drinking was my crutch. I know how you feel! Day seven and paranoid all the time that xyz will happen. But together we can break the cycle. Drinking won't truly help a thing.