Notices

7 months sober - contemplating having an occasional drink

Old 03-31-2013, 07:01 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IWillWin View Post
Wings - you helped this alcoholic today by sharing your experience. I'm at 7 months this week and this thread was bumped at a crucial time for me.

Thank you and I'm sorry you are struggling. I appreciate your honesty and courage - reminds me why that 1 drink will never, ever be enough. Ever.
thats great to hear! I'd give anything to go back and never had started again. I would be approaching 1 year next month.

It's never worth it and never ends up positive.

stay strong!
Old 03-31-2013, 07:14 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

So glad to see your back Wings, and thanks for posting this because it's going to help a LOT of people. Me included should I ever get DELUDED that just one is a good thing.

I liken it to playing chicken. I may run across the road many times before I got hit by a truck. Months of pain, suffering, physical therapy, loss time of work, etc etc...now, how idiotic would it be for me to say "hey, now that I'm out of my wheel chair, I think I will still occasionally run blindly across a highway..just for recreation!"

but I did just that with pills and booze. Oh look! another truck. SLAM.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say thank you so much for coming back. And for posting your experience. I have started and stopped many times, so I can relate. I am approaching 6 months now (besides my pregnancy my longest yet and first admitting complete defeat when it comes to alcohol)....so this is a timely thread for me as well.

If you can do 7 months, you can do a lifetime--one day at a time.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I was sober for three years so I thought "I had it". Within 2 months I was worse than I had ever been. It was like I never quit. I almost had alcohol poisoning trying to drink like I did before! I'm so glad you changed your mind!!!
Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
instant

Glad you are back on track.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:10 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Wings, glad you're back. I wish you much strength and all the best in recovery. You can do it!

I read your OP and it reminded me of my own 6 month dry period. The alcohell seemed so distant and it seemed so easy to quit after 6 months. I could surely drink ocassionally and easily quit again, is what I convinced myself. You only live once, life is boring anyway, etc etc. Within two months I was back to daily drinking and for much longer than 5 months..... (make that 15 months). Just quit a week ago. Seems "easy" again but I know the true test will come later this year.

Keep at it. When I try to imagine, fictitiously, that I could drink tonight without any consequences, I wouldn't. The taste and feeling of intoxication is not wanted, puts me off even. And I know there is nothing like no consequences in life. No free rides. I would immediately undo 7 days and probably think "ah, **** it".

It is like the classic Faust legend, of which Goethe's version is probably the most famous.
This coming from a hardcore atheist...
Old 04-01-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I have 6 months and like you we all think at times...maybe this time I can control it. Maybe I can but one thing for sure I do NOT want to go though those first few days/weeks cravings. I might not make it this time....still have cravings but they are weak..I can feel them but I can now go outside enjoy life and and do as I please.
I still think about alcohol... but now I go longer and longer times with out thinking about it. Don't throw your 7 months away....you have to feel great each morning when you wake up....or when you hit the sake..haaaaaa feels so good at night...good luck pal..
Old 05-29-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Quick update -

Still sober (2 months on Friday) and heading home to visit family and go to a concert next week.

A trip home last year is what triggered my initial thoughts about drinking again that lead me back down that path.

This time it's different. I've opened up to my parents and family about my alcohol issues and they were all incredibly supportive. Last time I was essentially hiding the reasons why i wasn't drinking.

I'm looking forward to this trip and I'm in a great mindset. I have no thoughts of drinking whatsoever.

I'll post again when I return, nice and sober
Old 05-29-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Just read all three pages huge eye opener wings thanks for that! I wish you nothing but the best!!
Old 05-29-2013, 02:13 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thats an awesome decision WingsFan

D
Old 05-29-2013, 04:33 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

My normal persons alcohol quota was used up years ago by cramming it into a short period and I reckon that counts for a lot of people on here.

I figure if I were a life long moderate drinker I took all my lifes worth of "just a couple" days and used them up in about a 6 month blitz.

I got nothing left and that's cool
Old 05-29-2013, 04:34 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Just went and read the whole thread. Glad you're back
Old 05-29-2013, 04:40 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

I am so glad you made it back and are doing good Wingsfan. I bookmarked this thread in case the AV make the stupid suggestion that I can drink again. THANK YOU! and great job.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

These sorts of thoughts occasionally flash through my mind. But then the insanity of it hits me when I ask myself "why would I want to drink? I mean what possible benefit could it offer me? I feel perfectly happy right now...where did that thought even come from". When I look at it in simple terms it strikes me as astoundingly illogical. Part of it is wanting what I can't have....even if I don't even really want it.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:49 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Your "beast" ( the little voice in your head, that urges you to drink) is really working overtime, isn't he?
He says things like "it's just one drink, where's the harm?" or "you can handle one measly little drink when you're out with friends, can't you?"
In short, your addictive little voice is trying everything in its considerable power to get you to drink again...don't give it the satisfaction.

Last edited by Talana; 05-29-2013 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Error
Old 05-29-2013, 05:10 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Carlotta View Post
I am so glad you made it back and are doing good Wingsfan. I bookmarked this thread in case the AV make the stupid suggestion that I can drink again. THANK YOU! and great job.
Definitely learn from my mistake, I know I have

glad my story could be of some help

thanks again, everyone
Old 05-29-2013, 07:54 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Deluxe View Post
I ask myself "why would I want to drink?...Part of it is wanting what I can't have....even if I don't even really want it.
Yes, me too. I'm having some kind of "poor me!" fest in my mind today because I feel upset that I can't have what I want. I drank on weekends and it's closing in on me. I spent all evening trying to rationalize buying one bottle of wine on Saturday, but this thread has stopped me. Thanks to all who are letting us learn from your experience.

As some one said, I don't want some wine. I want all of the wine.

So instead, I'll have none of the wine.
Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thanks to WingsFan for starting this thread, updating it, and being so honest. Additional thanks to everyone who added to the storyline.

I'm at 5 months without a drink and the last couple of weeks have been having strong feelings that now that I'm over "the hump" I could begin to drink with moderation. I just need to figure out my drinking-rules and stick to them. Maybe just a drink at restaurants ... or with friends ... or on the weekends ... you all know the drill.

I can't thank all of you enough for sharing your experiences. I don't want to go back to where I was. I know that. The risk of the mythical "just one drink" is not worth the risk.
Old 05-30-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thank you wings for these posts.stay strong buddy!
Old 05-30-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Ms

Originally Posted by WingsFan13 View Post
Hi Everyone,

I quit drinking 7 months ago (see my intro thread here - soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/256256-new-here.html and I am not considering having an occasional drink.

Some background into whats going on - 7 months is the longest ive gone without drinking. I've been happy and my wife has been especially happy with makes me happier. But, i feel like i have put all of my drinking in the past into perspective. I see the damage it did, the reasons that it did the damage and the thought patterns that got me there in the first place.

Suffice to say, I honestly think I could go back to having an occasional drink at a social function or out to dinner with my wife without falling back into my past behavior. I know that some people have actually done this with success but there are a lot more failings.

I dont feel that I need alcohol but i do feel that drinking responsibly is benificial to me. I just havent proven in the past that I can successfully do that for an extended period of time but i also havent taken the matter this seriously in the past.

any thoughts or insight is appreciated
This is why they call it INSANITY. Maybe you are not an alcoholic. Maybe you are just simply a little crazy, by hanging out with alcoholics.

Go ahead - "have a drink at a social function." Have fun. Hope you live through it.