Notices

Small town USA.....

Old 11-06-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Small town USA.....

So, one of my clients, a dear friend for the last 15 years, a guy, came in tonight to get his hair cut. As he was leaving, he asked me if he saw me (in not so many words, in front of the aa place in town). I just shrugged my shoulders and said hmmmm, I didn't see you. It was a light hearted conversation, and we were laughing and joking. When I got home from work, I took a screen shot of my sober time(36 days) (I have a 12 step companion on my phone) and said, yeah, u did see me, and he said, congrats, I'm proud of you. I said thanks, my life is improving daily, and he replied, you deserve that.

It's a double edged sword being in a small town, and I know a lot of people in this small town, but regardless of other people opinions, I will continue to put my sobriety first. I refuse to use a cheesy excuse about getting sober. If anyone has to ask me why I chose to quit drinking, I will simply reply with: did you see me when I did drink? Lol anywhas, have a good night sr!
Old 11-06-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not in AA but I still have a way to go - years probably - to catch up to the thousands of times people saw me publicly incapable from drink.

Even with all the stigma stuff, you know what? Being seen actively working at your recovery is a good thing to me

you're doing great ft

D
Old 11-06-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SR Fan

I think you have a great attitude.... It took me a few months to feel really solid in my recovery, but once I did, it didn't really matter that much to me what others knew or thought; I just felt proud to be sober.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I love it FT...There should never be shame in improving your life.
Old 11-07-2012, 02:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I love your post! x
Yep, I agree, small towns not all bad and we are all together in our struggle and that makes it just a teeny bit easier. He sounds like a good friend to have.