Notices

ready for a change

Old 11-06-2012, 12:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy ready for a change

Hello,
I recently got real with myself and admitted my drinking is a huge problem for me. I'm more of a binge drinker. One drink and I lose control of reality and respect for others. I have made a fool of myself and have lost friendships. I've also said really hurtful things. Whats worse is that I don't even remember it half the time and I never seem to be able to stop from doing it again. I'm frustrated and mad at myself. I'm so worried bout being judged and totally feeling worthless and alone. I've messed up collage this year as a result and have almost lost the love of my life. I've been sober a few days and thought all the alcohol was out of my house. Just found some and put it away but did not throw it away. So here I am looking for the push to help me overcome this. Some encouragement to do the right thing. I'm so down on myself. Why is this so freak'n hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome!

It's normal to be down on yourself at the point when you recognize how bad things are. But, you can start the upswing by getting rid of all the alcohol in the house and not buying more. You can show the people in your life, through your actions, that you are changing.
Old 11-06-2012, 12:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Rhapsodyh

SR really changed the game for me - it really helped to know I wasn't alone, that there were people who understood, and that there were many and varied options for support available to me out there.

I changed my life - I know you can too
Take your time, read around and post - you'll find a lot of support here.

and do think about dumping out alcohol you have in the house...it's torturing yourself for no good reason

D
Old 11-06-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR rhapsody

I know things seem rough now but it will get better the longer you don't drink. Have you thought about getting any support where you are to help you through? You'll find lots of support here too x
Old 11-06-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi & welcome from me too.

It's hard........but it DOES get easier. Have faith and just don't drink today.

S x
Old 11-06-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the family =)
First off, congratulations; admitting that drinking has become a major problem is very difficult for many people. I was a huge binge drinker when I was in the Army, and unfortunately I let it escalate into a major problem for myself when I got out. I realized that I just enjoy having a cup or bottle in my hand, especially when I had company or was at a friend’s house. So, I threw all the booze out and replaced them with gallons of water. I will literally walk around my house most of the time with a cup of water and wind up drinking a half gallon of water each day.
You need to pour that booze down the drain, think of it as your bad grades going away.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Rhapsodyh-

Congrats on getting sober and reaching out for support.

We all know what it's like to wake up and wonder "why did I do this to myself AGAIN??" Even with all the misery, I found a way to justify the next drink.

Glad you're here - I couldn't have gotten through those first days without this forum.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dependency

Welcome!

I'm new here as well and found your post quite interesting. Quitting is very a hard, but also a very brave thing to do. Be proud that you're sincere enough with yourself to recognize a problem before everything is lost. It's hardest for the first month or two...always feeling mad or sad about everything, but as the days go on just remember how much pride you can take in doing something that is not only healthy, but releasing a grasp that a substance has around you, a crutch for many a person. I hope you find the salvation from your addiction you search for.