Notices

I need to tell my story and I need help

Old 11-06-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

ArticSA: Sounds like you've got a problem and it's so awesome that you logged on to this SR website. Lots of folks who care and who've been where you are right now. Right off the bat it sounds like you've got at least two issues: (1) figuring whether you're an alcoholic and need to get into recovery, and (2) if so, then how to do this when your family, as often happens, seems to have a drinking culture, binging on weekends, etc. As to (1) there are lots of checklists (just google alcoholism checklists) and you may also wish to see an alcoholism counselor on a confidential basis. As to (2) you'll probably need some advice and you can certainly get that on this website and also from a counselor. There are no easy answers but folks do manage to deal with all that and it's really worth the effort. Good luck! Do keep in touch and every good wish. Welcome to SR!

W.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Last night my husband thought I sounded stressed on the phone and brought me home a sixer of Rolling Rock, and I probably wouldve drank it,if he drank with me but he left to go track a deer so I used the excuse of not wanting to drink alone. Making excuses NOT to drink? Thats new! He got home so late that I didnt want to bring up the whole subject of not drinking. But hes got to be thinking SOMEthings up, because this is my FOURTH day not drinking! My stomach was so flat and empty this morning! I turned over in bed and my head did NOT swim, I got up without groaning, then looked in the mirror and was not disgusted by a redfaced,puffyeyed,foggy person staring back at me. It this what mornings are supposed to be like!? I forget.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:26 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you got through the evening. My suggestion is to try to take the focus off your husband and put it back on yourself. You can get through this with the motivation you have and you can live a sober life. YOU are making the choice to live a sober and healthy life.
Old 11-07-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Morning Arctic...4 days congrats!!!

Never a good way to start the day feeling disgusted with yourself..
SR is a great place to see how others in your situation are dealing with issues.

I am on the flip side being a guy..Obviously I understand a great deal of what you are going though (but not entirely) However, trust me there are others on SR who have been and are exactly where you are.

I will say this, my wife drinks, but doesn't have a problem. She doesn't get the whole addiction thing. It has added a challenge for me..I had to come really clean with her as I need her support. Like I said, she doesn't get the addiction aspect, but knows me + alcohol = not good. In the end, you need to do what is in the best interest for you....

Please keep posting. One thing I know for sure...people here understand what you are dealing with.

Jim
Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Keep going ArticSa!! As for the middle ground, I thought too that I could find that, but alas, I surrendered to the fact that I had a problem. There was no middle ground for me, for once I was there, I had to go further. I go to AA and have found a new group of friends & support that I truly need as I know I can not do this alone. 20 months sober now and have no desire whatsoever to drink...it hasn't been an easy ride, but I hold on one day at a time. Move forward, you have a family that needs & loves you...it worth it Artic...you're worth it.