Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

What was the final straw and the reason you decided to quit your addiction!!

Notices

Old 11-06-2012, 12:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

For me it was not one event but a series of awful situations including blacking out and waking up in police cells, fights arguments and the worst emotional turmoil ever the following day and the feeling of complete and utter desperation!!
Old 11-06-2012, 12:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
lillyknitting

Originally Posted by Lionhearted1 View Post
For me it was not one event but a series of awful situations including blacking out and waking up in police cells, fights arguments and the worst emotional turmoil ever the following day and the feeling of complete and utter desperation!!
I couldn't have described it better myself, utter desperation! I had years of misery, family arguments, although they were much much worse than that like the lowest of the low degradation, fights at 3am ,me sleeping on the sofa, etc, I could write a book. In the end though, I literally got sick and tired of feeling sick and tired, the bad totally weighed out the good, I see it now as a total waste of space in my life. I can go out now, socialize wonderfully, an not have to worry the next day if I still have a home, a husband and daughter, or, a life!
Old 11-06-2012, 02:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

waking up looking like sh%t, wasting money, fighting, up and down emotions, just was not fun anymore
Old 11-06-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me it was a series of horrible events as well. I started drinking at work, drinking while i drove, drinking and driving and every single time i drank i blacked out. I got in 3 accidents within a 6 month period of time and my car served as a horrible reminder of my stupidity when i awoke the next day. But i never died. All of the times when i could have/should have and i never did. I put people that i love in a position to be killed by me when i drank and drove, something i would have never done before this problem with drinking took hold. But never again. Day 7 for me and i'm going the distance!
Old 11-06-2012, 03:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hi,, for me it was also a long series of awful repeitive events too.
for the last 2 yrs i can hardly remember anything from the night before,, my hubby has had enough, my kids have had enough, i kicked hubby outta bed last week and hid my wedding rings,, i still to this day cannot for the life of me find it!!
ive been af now totally for 5 days now, the kudzu and l-glutamine have helped, and th fact that at last ive been honest with my loved ones ( they knew i have a prob) but this time it feels different,,
not only do i need to stay away from the beast,,,
I WANT TO ,, and this is how i feel so empowered to do this,, i am happier than ive been in years,,
i can honestly say , no cravings as yet,,, no,, hang on,,, i will never have any cravings,, because,, i will never drink again,,,

heres to a happy tues everyone,, im off for a hike with my wee doggie, to soak in this cold but beautiful english air,,,
lots lv and hugs to all,x cleo xxxx
Old 11-06-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

ps i dont drive, so thank god really, or i wouldve killed myself or others,, dya know the reason i dont drive?
cos then i wouldnt be able to drink,,, so ive always put of doing my test,,
but after xmas,, im booked in for my first few lessons!!!
my brother was a drinker,, he purposley did his driving test to clean himself up,, and it worked for him? just a thought? lv cleo xxx
Old 11-06-2012, 03:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm not a macsochist (sorry cant spell this early) by nature.
so why was i killing and torturing my mind and my body?
i'm a big advocate of common sense, so i should practice what i preach and not be a phony, playing the victim.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

wow fandy,, that is so true,,, thanks for posting that,,, lv cleo xxx
hope u havent been affected by sandy?? xxxx

Last edited by Cleopatra1; 11-06-2012 at 03:12 AM. Reason: added info
Old 11-06-2012, 03:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

well, the last 3 months of addiction did it for me...i wasnt ready to quit really i just needed a month or so to get in a better shape so i could run away to france and sign up for the legion...everything else collapsed behind me, no more shelter and food...i had no money and already regularly resulted to stealing and shoplifting...no job or friends or someone that wanted me around...i was suicidal miserable and hopeless...i could get a expencive private rehab center to take me in for a month, so i could heal up a little and have a shot at the legion...those 28 days changed everything, right now i set a goal to stay sober for 1 year and am doing fine already halfway there.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Was humiliated and caught by a cop, didn't get in trouble, but it scared me. Still scared, it was not quite a week ago. Haven't touched it since.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cleopatra1 View Post
wow fandy,, that is so true,,, thanks for posting that,,, lv cleo xxx
hope u havent been affected by sandy?? xxxx
(read whiners in the cafe section, oh yes very much so, thanks)