Notices

irregular sleep

Old 11-05-2012, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

irregular sleep

I started a new job a few days ago. It involves standing all day long and by the time I get off I'm physically exhausted, and mentally somewhat too, although not as much as physically. I had a friend who I said I would call after work last night and we talked for 3/4 hour. I had 1.75 beers during the time I talked to him and for a while afterwards until I couldn't keep my eyes open.

I had some stuff I needed to do to prepare for work this evening, but I was so exhausted, I set my alarm for 1:30 am to get up and do it. Once awake, I wasn't tired anymore. I finished the last of the total 4 (high potency) beers I had, set about doing stuff on the web, and still am not tired at 7:30am. I need to be at work 5pm tonight and am now going to try to get needed sleep, but am not tired, nor drunk by a long shot.

It's been a long time since I can remember going to sleep and sleeping for 7 or 8 hours and then getting up. The sleep is broken now - no more the days of getting really buzzed and sleeping the whole night through and even longer than 7 or 8 hours.

Sometimes I lay in bed for hours and can't sleep. I'm not disturbed per se. I just can't sleep. When the alarm goes off I feel OK, but then at some point in the day I get incredibly tired and loopy.

I think this may have something to do with alcohol withdrawal. When the beer wears off in the middle of the night I wake up. I haven't had a hangover in ages.

It's kind of scary. I feel OK when I get out of bed even though I've actually not been fully asleep for much of the time at all. But, even with a solid breakfast and lunch and no beer, I never know when it's going to hit me later in the day. The demands of the job combine with my sporadic sleep and suddenly I can't focus. I'm taking all my vitamins too.

I guess it's pretty obvious that alcohol is interfering with my sleep, but gosh darn it - the job is so boring and repetitious, the only fun I have in a 24 hour period is nursing a couple of beers and doing stuff on the computer or talking to friends and family one the phone. Family is all elsewhere and friends are usually too busy to get together in person. I'd be perfectly happy to get together in person with them, but it doesn't happen too often.

However, I'm not lonely. My computer keeps me occupied.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow.
Old 11-05-2012, 11:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you saying you have cut down your drinking and it's made your sleep patterns sporadic Renaldo? I had that too but it only lasted a couple of weeks when I had stopped drinking completely.

Maybe if your job is so dull that the only way to enjoy it is by drinking then you should look into another line of work.

Have you been getting any support to help you stop drinking?
Old 11-05-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had years of using alcohol to regulate my life renaldo.

It didn't work out so well - & I remember from your earlier posts a couple of weeks ago it's not working out for you either.

Maybe like hypo says it's time to look around for more fulfilling jobs...and maybe a little more recovery support?

D
Old 11-06-2012, 01:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

hypochondriac,

Yes, I've cut down on my drinking and have a full day of eating before drinking my first beer with this new job, so what beer I drink has less effect than when I was drinking it on an empty stomach, starting as soon as I woke up, often times.

You said, "Maybe if your job is so dull that the only way to enjoy it is by drinking then you should look into another line of work."

Don't misunderstand me. I'm not drinking before work or during breaks. Beer doesn't affect the degree to which I enjoy or don't enjoy work, just my spare time.

Both hypochondriac and Dee,

You both asked about support. I'm not going to any group meetings at present. I have been to many in the past. I've already posted my feelings about the different groups, so I won't repeat myself here. I may go back. Kind of like my new job, however - the repetition drives me nuts.

So, onto what you both said about looking for a more fulfilling line of work. I know what I enjoy (graphic design), and I've done it in the past. I'm qualified, experienced, certified, and have my own equipment, but have had slim pickin's in the past few years. A short contract job here and there.

This part time seasonal job with no health benefits that I've taken that will last up to Xmas is selling specialty foods from a kiosk in a mall during the holiday season. I had to take something to make ends meet.

In terms of choosing a new fulfilling career path - at the age of 49, I don't want to start all over learning a new skill that is labor intensive. I've spent SO MUCH WORK on graphic design (worked 22 yrs. for the same newspaper until the newspaper business bottomed out and it went out of business).

After that I went back to school, learned more up to date programs. I worked by butt off and would kind of like to stick with it. I've taken personality tests and they consistently narrow me down to being suited to the field of graphic design.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Alcohol, majorly affected my sleep, I have been sober almost a month and all I want to do is sleep, probably because of the years of abuse I put my body through. I know it's rough but I feel better in alot of ways without it. Good luck!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What happens with me is I feel exhausted in the evening, and then I push through it 'cuz I'm doing stuff on the computer. Then I get my second wind and I'm no longer tired anymore. I go to sleep in the wee hours, my brain running at full speed, not feeling tired. The sun comes up and I've not slept much. For 10 mins. after the alarm goes off in the morning I feel groggy, but by the time I've showered I'm fine. The tiredness comes mid-afternoon like a ton of bricks.

I've never used energy drinks and my first sip of coffee as a teen turned me off to the entire experience. I've never touched the stuff since.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If it is sleep you desire, put down the alcohol. You can read basically anywherewhere that it disturbs sleep, for nonalcoholics also.

As for fun, being on the computer sober is fun. I usually dont make an asa of myself a nd I remember evertying I said.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Renaldo,
Trust me, I know how tiring it is being on your feet all day, I pulled enough guard duty in the military haha.
I highly recommend doing some sort of physical activity 2-3 hours before you want to go to sleep. Even if you're on the computer at night, try doing 10 push ups or sit ups each time you visit a web page. I'm in my 30's and trying to ease off the booze, so I can kinda relate to you. Also, I work out quite a bit, so if you have any questions or anything, feel free to PM me.
Good luck!
Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by renaldo View Post
What happens with me is I feel exhausted in the evening, and then I push through it 'cuz I'm doing stuff on the computer. Then I get my second wind and I'm no longer tired anymore. I go to sleep in the wee hours, my brain running at full speed, not feeling tired. The sun comes up and I've not slept much. For 10 mins. after the alarm goes off in the morning I feel groggy, but by the time I've showered I'm fine. The tiredness comes mid-afternoon like a ton of bricks.

I've never used energy drinks and my first sip of coffee as a teen turned me off to the entire experience. I've never touched the stuff since.
That is just how I felt when I was drinking. I'd get a second wind in the evening, drink til the early hours, run on autopilot in the morning and crash in the afternoon until I had my first beer.

I'n not sure I understand your thread though. Are you trying to figure out ways you can carry on drinking and not get tired?