Notices

Help me stop binge drinking

Old 11-05-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi there I am new here too and I was a binge drinker. I'm 25 and between 17 and 23 I would get wasted every single weekend, I would wake the next day not knowing anything that had happened and then find out that I'd done something awful. Plus a massive hang over, which only gets worse by the way. Over the last couple years it's calmed down but flared up again when life wasn't going so great. I just thought getting drunk was the only way to have fun and what would I do if I wasn't drinking? . Well I have been sober 3 months now and although it is initially very hard to change your lifestyle if you can find things to do to occupy your time - life goes on. Personally I fill my time watching a TV series I enjoy or reading, also I exercise every single day and that has helped me through A LOT. you will have to figure out what works for you.

If you are searching for a girlfriend, you won't find one getting wasted all the time, give up the binge drinking - figure out the kind of person you really are, get to know you and then you will be emotionally available for someone else.

Good Luck
Old 11-10-2012, 11:40 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Okay guys. I think I made it through my first weekend SOBER!

last night (friday) I got off work and went home to go to bed because I had to wake up early to go car shopping. I got a new car today and was occupied doing that.

Tonight was kind of difficult for me because it was one of my close friends birthdays and she had rented a limo and was taking a bunch of friends out to the bars and clubs. I really wanted to go and originally planned on going, and I never told her I wasn't going, because I probably thought I would end up going, but I didn't! I told her yesterday that I needed to stop drinking and that I won't be going. She was a little dissapointed but oh well its for my well being.

Me and my friend (who is also an alcoholic) planned to go bowling tonight.He is also trying to stay away from the alcohol and has had bad episodes lately. I almost didn't think he was going to go through with it because he kept talking about wanting to drink and just seemed like he was going to back out, but I kept telling him that we don't need to drink and that I wanted to go bowling to keep my mind off of all of it. So we actually ended up doing that. They smoked some pot before we went, but I don't smoke so that wasn't a problem for me. I'm just glad everyone that went did not drink. Also, one of my friends who has been clean for 10 months from opiates and alcohol was visiting this weekend, and he came with us to go bowling. It was cool because he has been sober for a while, and he has learned to have fun without getting messed up. It was good to hang out with someone like that, and a sober crowd for once.

Friday and saturday are the hardest times for me, but from here on throughout the rest of the week I probably wont even crave drinking. I just have to prepare myself to overcome the cravings and temptations for next weekend.

Thanks guys for the advice, I kept this forum and the posts made in here in the back of my mind this weekend, and was happy to be able to post back in the forum saying that I actually have been sober so far this weekend.

I'll keep coming back! thanks again everyone

7 days sober
Old 11-11-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Awesome! You have just proven that you CAN do it! Keep up the good work!
You need to do as much planning not to drink as you did for drinking, but you still come out ahead, in money, time, no hangovers, and your life will get so much better. Really pleased to read about your night.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:19 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Thanks this post reminded me of how much I hated that feeling of the night being over (2-3am) and being drunk as a skunk and so full of booze but with a desire to keep going while everyone else has gone home, passed out. Uusually I would grab a beer from the fridge open it, and only drink like half of it before I passed out myself. I seriously DO NOT miss those late night benders.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was a huge binge drinker when I was in the Army. Trust me, I know exactly what you're goin' thru.
Alcohol is goin tell you not to make any plans this weekend, that you won't go out and drink. Weekend will come and you'll probably feel that you deserve just one drink...Both of us knows where that road leads to.
Go volunteer at your local boys and girls club. Become a big brother to a lil kid every other weekend or so.
If that doesn't work for you, go volunteer at a hospital. Your view towards alcohol will turn upside down at the first sight of a person rushed into the ER due to alcohol.
"Drinking too much, including binge drinking, causes 80,000 deaths in the US each year"
CDC Vital Signs - Binge Drinking
Don't be a stat.
Old 11-11-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Well done on a sober weekend. I have had a sober weekend too - my second in a row.

Unfortunately I drank in the middle of last week. Still, I am pleased to have kept sober for a few more days.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I was going to say the same thing as Anna said but she said it all. Your binge drinking has been on weekends. So one way to start is to redesign the weekend so you're busy with something, like volunteer work, church work, a sporting event, anything to take your mind off getting wasted and to keep you otherwise occupied. Hopefully this will also involve groups of people so you won't feel lonely. And you may form new relationships, preferably with non drinkers. You can halt this ominous downward slippery slope you appear to be on but you've got to want it for yourself and want it badly. Sounds like if you don't make a change things could get pretty bad for you, like loss of that job, jail, etc. It happens! Good luck

W.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks again for the advice, and explaining your situations.

I feel great right now knowing that I can actually remember everything I did this weekend, and I enjoyed my weekend. I spent my day cleaning and working on my car. I treated myself to some fat greasy food also. But Oh well, I'd rather treat myself to some bad food on the weekend than to get trashed and feel horrible.

Feels good to know I'm going into work monday with a clear head instead of still feeling foggy from the weekend.

I'll keep in touch with everyone. I'm serious about staying clean I've discussed my problem with several people this weekend and it felt good.

and OH, I spent about a total of 70 dollars all weekend. Bought some food, went bowling and bought a part for my car. That's almost as much as I would have spent binging for the weekend, except I spent my money more wisely this weekend. If it wasn't for the part I bought for my car, I would have only spent 15 dollars this weekend. Alot less than I would have spent out drinking
Old 11-12-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

How was Monday? Did it feel good to arrive at work without a hangover and with a bit more self respect than usual? Felt good to me, so I went to a meeting after work as a top up. Got any plans for meetings?
Old 11-26-2012, 09:40 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey guys haven't been on in a while, but good news. I have been sober since I made this thread. I just made it through my third weekend without drinking.

It was a 4 day weekend due to the holiday, and let me tell you, it was not easy.

I actually made plans to drink on saturday night because I got bored and couldn't find anything to do. I made up my mind that I was going to drink, but in the back of my mind I knew it was a bad idea. I made plans to hangout with this girl, and she said she wanted to drink. We ended up going to one of my friends birthday parties but I drove there and I knew if I drove I wouldn't drink.

The girl I was with had one drink when we got there, but didn't have any after that. I felt like I needed to drink to hangout with her, but then I think she realized I wasn't drinking and decided not to either. Everyone asked me to drink, and tried to get me to take a shot or have a beer, and I just kept saying no. Other people respected that I wasn't drinking and said I have a lot of self control (haha little do they know)...

Me and the girl I was with stayed sober and my bestfriends girlfriend was there (she doesnt drink) So three of us hung out and talked and it was nice having other people not drink with me.

Even though I was close to drinking that night, I didn't and I'm glad I didnt. I had a good time hanging out with this girl (it was the first time I hung out with her) and I really respected that she didn't drink. I told her thanks for not drinking it made it easier for me, and she said she just wanted to hangout with me and that she wasn't a big drinker anyways. I think maybe in the beginning of the night she wanted to drink because of the akwardness of hanging out with me for the first time. But I'm glad she didn't.

Anyways, I am rambling alot, but I just wanted to check in, and tell you all that I am doing well. I stayed busy over the weekend working on my car and such. I also hung out with a friend who came home from college and we played board games at my house along with two of her friends (also mine). We went to the mall late on black friday and had a good sober time.

I am thankful for not drinking this weekend I would have regretted it. I feel good and clear headed. However, I need to keep reminding myself as to why I am not drinking (because I have a problem whether I want to believe it at the time or not).

My dad keeps telling me he is proud of me. and I came home from work tonight, and there was a card on my bathroom counter from my parents. It said that they were proud of me for my accomplishments. Felt good that they are recognizing.

I feel good that I have made good decisions while being sober, and I like being in control of myself. I know I'm not waking up with no money in my wallet, and I can remember everything I did the night before.

I have plans to hangout with this girl again next weekend, we plan to go to the movies or to the aquarium. Who knows, maybe she is someone good for me to hangout with, and will support me for my decisions not to drink.

Anyways, I'm glad I got on here, and I can express myself to people. Thanks everyone for the positive feedback and suggestions, along with your experiences.

I'll keep everyone posted. God Bless
Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Well done T so happy to hear of your progress! That's so fantastic that you maintained your self control even when people were shoving drinks in your face AND after you had decided you were going to drink. The main thing is that you didn't!!

It feels great when family is proud of you for your actions and what a lovely gesture by your parents, I'm sure that felt wonderful

Keep up the good work, your doing great!
Old 11-27-2012, 03:58 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi there! It's great reading your update and seeing things going so well for you!

My drinking has followed a similar pattern to yours, and I'm around your age (24). I've just got to the end of my first sober week and starting to think about drinking this next weekend, but posts like yours remind me not to give in