Notices

10 days sober

Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb 10 days sober

I finally made the move and I quit drinking (and smoking a few days later) for the first time since I was pregnant 9 years ago. How time flies!

I haven’t told anyone that I think I have a problem and that I need to quit. Not even my husband.
He has been having a beer after work; I even had to go buy him some last Friday… The beer was in the fridge all week end and I didn’t brake down. I was tempted a few times.

I’m grumpy… and a little lost but I expected that or worse. My story is similar to many moms’ story. Having wine at night to take the edge off and a few years later you always finish the bottle and want more. Sometimes, I would drink Vodka and OJ for breakfast. I had to stop and since drinking and smoking go together, I decided to quit both.

This is my first post.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on 10 days sober. You've made a great decision for your future.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 10 days sober!
Do you feel comfortable with not only having alcohol in the house
but also having to go buy it for your husband?
It would be a huge trigger for me if I had to have my DOC
in the house and have to go get it for someone else and
then just continue on with my recovery.

Have you thought about opening up to your
husband? I found it helps me a lot to have those
closest to me know at least a little bit about what
I am going through.

Keep moving forward, you deserve to be happy & healthy
Old 11-01-2012, 09:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would rather not see it when I open the fridge for a glass of soda water but It would be too much to share all that's going on with me right now with my husband or any of my friends. My husband is often away during the week, I hope that he won't have any left when he leaves, I might have to take it out and away while he is gone.
Old 11-01-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Both at the same time is just wonderful. Double the pride.
Hang on and keep going, I'm one month sober and 17 days off Cigarettes.

Same strategy as you, stop one then the next right after.

2 problems solved at once. Harder? I don't think so personally. Withdrawal suck anyway might as well do both and get this thing over with for good.

Great job, stay strong!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
box of chocolates

Congrats! Hang in there! You've made it ten days keep going and eventually the frustration pains etc will be gone
Old 11-01-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Thepatman!
Good for you. One month off the booze and a while off the butts, you must feel much better. I'll let you know when I get there.
I think that if I'm going to feel like I got ran over by a truck and lost my best friend, I might as well get it over with at once.
I use yoga "sun salutation" when I feel too anxious or angry at nothing.
It felt useless at first but I now love it... and do it lots when I can get a little privacy.
Will I ever feel "normal"?
Old 11-01-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Great work and keep it up!
Old 11-01-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome Gladiolus!

Big congrats on getting sober! I can definitely relate to "finishing the bottle and wanting more." At the end, that first evening drink was all I looked forward to.

It really does get easier as you go. Glad you've joined us!
Old 11-01-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"Will I ever feel "normal"?

A question I keep asking myself also sometimes when it's a difficult time. But when I think logically about the fact that I had my bad habbits for 20 years I accept that it will take a while to feel "normal". Think about it for a minute and imagine, no alcohol or Nicotine for the next 5 years. Just healthy food, excercise, healthy lifestyle etc.

Then you drink a 12-15 beers and a pack of smokes in one night... Hospital time! LOL!
Old 11-01-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR Gladiolus

D
Old 11-01-2012, 06:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for the kind words, I'm glad I decided to join this forum.

I don't feel like going to a meeting or talking to anyone but I need the support and reading helps understand...

Very funny analogy Thepatman but true none the less.
Old 11-01-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Hi Gladiolus

Congratulations on 10 days sober.....Your post sounds sooooooooooo familiar to me I could not believe I was reading it... so welcome to SR ..... you may be grumpy now ...I know I was and my kids just couldn't understand why... .... especially at bed time .....It gets better..... I still haven't spoken to my hubby ((80 days later) about my decision to stop drinking ).... I cut down over a period of time and 1 day I just stopped drinking...

Keep strong ....Keep posting
Old 11-01-2012, 09:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ten days is great, I am on 21 and like you, this is the longest stretch since pregnancy, five years ago for me. I found a book today called Diary of An Alcoholic Housewife, it is a memoir,you might like it.

Welcome to SR, keep posting and reading!!!
Old 11-02-2012, 06:16 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

LSC1: Congratulation to you on 80 days! It's interesting that you also have not told your partner after 80 days.
Do you know why?

I'm not sure why myself; I was pretty good at hiding the extra bottles so he wouldn't know how much I was actually drinking even if I must have looked pretty drunk after only drinking one or 2 glasses with dinner… I know that I was living a lie and that I continue in some ways but I think that I don’t want to be the victim… I want to be the healthy and soon to be patient (even late at night) mom and wife.

Delilah1: Good for you on 3 weeks sober, Yeah! Thank you for the book suggestion. It sounds like the kind of book I could read these days!

I was invited to my best friend's house for dinner tonight. I had to decline, it feels too soon to sit around and watch my friends and family drink nice wine with a nice meal. I will be able to join in soon but not today. I look forward to having a meal with friends without wine and be cool with it, keep a clear head and remember all the conversations the next day!
Old 11-04-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Thumbs up

Gladiolus
I never really had to hide my alcohol consumption from my husband. He drinks heavily to. He didn't "know" about the morning drinking I guess.

I did tell him last time I tried to stop drinking and he was supportive.

This time I guess I didn't say anything because I was worried and still am about failing and starting drinking again. Because I reckon if I said to him " I am never drinking again" and I did he would throw it in my face and I would feel even worse.

So I tapered and made sure there was always a mix of low alcohol and full strength wine in the house. So gradually I / he stopped buying me full strength bubbly etc.

When I stopped drinking all together I just told him not to buy me any of "my wine". I made no promises and no committment and set no time frame for my sobriety. I now always make sure he buys me some soft drink. I always have to have a cold soft drink in the fridge.....and plenty of herbal teas.

I can totally relate to the initial struggle of having to go to the bottlo for him... this years fathers day I couldn't do it and he got his own ... he grumbled a bit.. but I can go to the bottlo for him now without issue.

Going out to dinner etc together initially was challenging ... as we used to share a bottle of wine or two.. now I order a mocktail or something yummy like that and a juice

I haven't even told him about SR ... he thinks I am on FB.

This is my battle not his and I have noticed he is drinking less since I stopped drinking... which has been good.

So keep sharing ... keep posting and stay sober