Notices

Valleygirl

Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Valleygirl

Woke up this morning with a hangover. Feeling lousy and looking lousy too. Don't know when and how to stop.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
c49
Its time for bed

When you stop: It is a point when the reasons for which you drink (either known or unknown) are causing too much damage to your physical and spiritual self.

Your life needs a healthy balance of physical and mental work with physical and metal relaxtion.

Alcohol messes with that balance and leaves pure disorder in its wake.

When to stop? Maybe now?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.

Hangovers seem like a distant memory to me now. I look back and can't imagine how I ever lived that way, but I did, and I did for a long time. All I can say is that you don't have to live this way any longer. You can make today the first day of the rest of your life. You can put alcohol behind you for good, and like many people on this website, live a fulfilling, happy and sober life. There is no time like the present.

How? We all do it in different ways. What is essential to any method is that you make a commitment to not put any alcohol inside you and do everything in your power to stay that way. Believe in yourself. If you want to be sober, you can be sober - it's as simple as that.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

How about stopping now, today? Have you talked to your dr because it can be very dangerous to detox from alcohol?

How to stop is simply to get through each hour and each day, taking care of yourself as much as possible, ie, rest, eat well, etc. I think balance is crucial for recovery so exercising and meditating help as well.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Now is a great time to stop. Hangovers are also a distant memory for me and it is the best feeling!! There are lots of methods to recovery and you can explore them here. You've found a great place
Old 11-04-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with all of the above that today is a great day one. Spend some time reading stories on here, and do a little research about different programs to help. I know AA has been a life saver for many. I like Rational Recovery, and Women for Sobriety.

I am only on day 24 and the first few days are tough. I made an appointments with my doctor and I am also seeing a counselor twice a month. You can do this.

Right now just focus on not drinking today. When that trigger hour hits find something else to do.

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:27 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR... I am only on day two here myself. That first decision to stop can be a really hard one, even when you know you want to - at least part of you does if you are searching for answers. One thing that helped me when I was at my weakest was to play a game I called 15 minutes. I'd think I want to drink now, but if I can just wait until 7:30... then I would usually notice again at 7:33 and think, well, already 3 minutes in, I can wait to 7:45... and often I would get distracted enough to put off drinking for awhile at least. Not sure if it will help but you never know.... good luck!
Old 11-04-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Not Alone

You can stop whenever you want. I'm not going to lie, it isn't easy, but then in perspective it isn't hard either. Once you have conquered the physical withdrawals you just have to get down to business and start doing some work.

And how, well there's loads of different ways of recovering offered to people today. I personally use NA, a lot of my friends use AA but there are also methods like SMART recovery and AVRT which people from this forum have success with. You have to want it, and when you want it bad enough you will get it.