Notices

Day 1 again

Old 11-04-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 1 again

I'm back to day one. Can't seem to make it past day 3. I want so bad to do this and get back to who I want to be.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What can and will you do to stay sober?
Old 11-04-2012, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I will come on this site. Having support and reaching out may make the difference. No one knows what I'm struggling with so I feel alone and it's easy to fool myself into thinking it's ok if i just have one, and then I'm back at it. If I check in with other people, then I think I'm less likely to fool myself. I've never reached out to anyone before so I'm hoping this time will be different. Thanks for the reply...I needed that.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:17 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had many day ones. Hundreds. Day four was always a killer for me, too.
What works for me, is to think that first drink through to the end and where it will lead.

Don't be too hard on yourself. I joined here five years ago and have two years eight months sober. It took me awhile.

Hang in there, and best to you.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

DAy four here and very tempted. It's a hard day, it's where I blew it last time, too. Hang in there. You'll get it right.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ForMeForThem View Post
I will come on this site. Having support and reaching out may make the difference. No one knows what I'm struggling with so I feel alone and it's easy to fool myself into thinking it's ok if i just have one, and then I'm back at it. If I check in with other people, then I think I'm less likely to fool myself. I've never reached out to anyone before so I'm hoping this time will be different. Thanks for the reply...I needed that.
I am on Day 24 today and checking in with this site daily has been a critical part of my plan. I have had many Day Ones and finally decided not again. I am using several other things for support (reading, counselor, and Women for Sobriety), but this is the place I know I can go to 24/7.

Keep reading and posting, find something to keep you busy at trigger times, and know that people on this site understand and will be there to support you.

Looking forward to reading your post tomorrow when you are in day two!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

ForMeForThem, you can make it past day three. Believe in yourself. You can do this. One of the most important things you can do for your sobriety is to accept right now that you will never be able to drink just one again. Say it, write it down, repeat it, believe it. Write down how you feel at this present moment, what you want for your future, and what you will be jeopardising if you drink again. Keep it in a place where you will see it if you are ever tempted. There is no magic equation for achieving long lasting sobriety but what is essential is that you accept that you will never be able to drink like a normal drinker. Once I understand that about myself, staying away from alcohol became SO much easier.

Wishing you all the best. Believe in yourself - you can do this.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you. Good for you for day four. Don't give in and don't give up. You don't want to feel the way I'm feeling today, the day after...ashamed, angry with myself and unhealthy. You can do it. I hope I can too.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day three and four are usually where I start saying "it wasn't so bad, I can do it one more time, etc." The next day is worthless, so, in effect I lose two days. I'm on day three again and very determined today and have a super busy schedule the next couple of days so maybe if I can string together a week, I won't want to lose that as easily as it seems to just lose 2 or 3 days. Note: I took some Triphala, which is a non-mood altering herbal cleanser and blood purifier last night and I feel more energy today than normal. I also took some Milk Thistle - good for the liver. If I feel like I am trying to improve my health, then maybe that will help me not to drink also.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, there seems to be something particularly difficult about days 3 and 4 for me too. The day 1 hangover has passed and I start feeling better and thinking that I don't have a problem (ha). I think I'm going to write myself an inspirational card to carry in my wallet, so that every time I think about buying booze and check my cash supply, I'll have to look at that. Sounds silly, but I'm going to try it. I can't let myself forget, just because I'm feeling better, that I do have a big problem with alcohol.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm on day 5, i've never seen day 5 and imagined it would feel amazing and it does! You can totally do this, but you must push through the normal # of days you're able to go without and set a new record. My goal is never, i never want to drink again bc my life is so much better without alcohol....don't get me wrong, i think about it constantly, but there will soon come a day where i don't and my body and mind will be mine again. I want that freedom and i think we all deserve it. I know you have what it takes and i wish you luck, we're all on this journey together. This site has helped so much with support and i hope it does the same for you.
Old 11-04-2012, 09:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm sitting here crying as I read all these replies. I've never been able to talk about this with anyone before. I'm so glad I decided to post on here. It feels so good to know there are other people, other moms, who are struggling with the same issues and feelings. Thank you all.
Old 11-04-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I had sooo many day 1's i cant even begin to count. Just try and remember you cant change yesterday! In time you will learn to forgive yourself and not look back! Do anything you can to not take that first drink...go fishing, walk, laundry, clean house, walsh the car, walk around mall, call a friend to bs. Take it a minute at a time. Stay out of your head. Hang in there! You can do it!
Old 11-04-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
I can do anything!!!

Day 4 is the day I usually give in. This week on day 4 I had one drink at a bar and was able to stop. I actually felt very sleepy after it and did not want another. Yesterday, I was at the grocery store and just grabbed a bottle. I did not even think twice about what I was doing. It was strange. I am not sure how I could just "forget" my goals. I wish I could find a grocery store that did not sell liquor. It would help tremendously.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome ForMeForThem

there was a time I couldn't make 4 days either - but this place helped me make 4 days, then 4 months, then 4 years...

Plug yourself in here - read around, post - and reach out when you need us.

You can do this

D
Old 11-04-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I did 24 days during the month of October and have been stop starting since. We will get there if we keep trying. Everything has a reason and coming to this site everyday helps us to get in the frame of mind needed to eventually succeed.
Old 11-04-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've been there, fell off the wagon 100 times on day 3 or 4.

What happened that made you decide to drink? Are you in AA or any type of support group?
Old 11-04-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I did it! In bed now, and sober. So can you!!!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Day 3 wrapping up for me too! Sober.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The first 3-7 days were the hardest for me. I think it's easy to talk yourself out of thinking you have a problem after about 3 days. I stopped and asked myself, " If I don't have a problem, it shouldn't be a problem to NOT drink". Congrats to both of you for making it through the day