Notices

Not enough of an alcoholic!

Old 11-05-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I met a guy who said since I was 21 I was too young to be in AA. Doesn't make much sense to me, I have a problem and a "desire to stop drinking"...I think that justifies my attendance. I plan to keep coming back, it helps me a lot
Old 11-05-2012, 02:31 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Some of us are sicker than others.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:43 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Originally Posted by Sazzle View Post
I spoke to a few people after and they said that this guy was a self righteous jerk.
Sounds about right to me, Sazzle.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

What a tool! Focus on the good people. I haven't lost anything other than my pride and my figure, but I am most certainly an alcoholic. Only I can determine that for sure.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Well everyone gave you the scoop. You know your supposed to be there. Thats what matters. And as it was said, some sicker than others and dont work a good program ect.

I am a big time AA supporter and what you went through is a bunch of crap. One thing you have to remember is you are dealing with a bunch of alcoholics and even some of the sober ones are still very broke. If that ever comes up again say, "Do you know what the 3rd tradition is?" The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking. Say, "Well I desire to stop drinking. Do you have a problem with that?"

MI perfectly put..
Old 11-05-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=Sazzle;3653565

I can honestly say, that if this had been my 1st AA meet I wouldn't have gone back.

S x[/QUOTE]

My first AA meeting was canceled. LOL. Literally, nobody showed up. Glad now that I waited around a few hours for another meeting.

Best of wishes,
Zube
Old 11-05-2012, 06:06 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I don't disagree with everyone that said that this fellow was out of line. But, I wonder why he would say that to you... What possible motive would a long time member of AA have in rattling your cage like he did?

I believe that there is some value in forcing a close examination of whether one is an alcoholic or not... It was a wild ride for me. I was not, externally, a low bottom alcoholic... I didn't seek out treatment, initially, because I wanted it... I just wanted out of trouble. And my first encounter with an old timer was similarly jarring.

I have grown to appreciate the fact that I was challenged. I, too, called BS on this guy's initial interaction with me... It only strengthened my first step, because I approached with a POV that no one could tell me... And this is important... That I was, or was NOT, alcoholic.

Maybe he was doing you a favor??? You have reacted with the same fervor that other's react to the idea that maybe they ARE alcoholic... Sometimes, when we hear something that really agitates us, it means we need to look at it, carefully, and that we will be better off for it...

Try not to judge him too harshly.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:15 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sazzle View Post
After work I met my friend and we walked 3 miles to a 'newcomers' AA meeting. During the break newbies were encouraged to speak to recovered alcoholics. Well, one man pounced on me and asked if I knew what an alcoholic was.

I explained I did, and that I was one and it was my 2nd meeting. He told me I didn't look like an alcoholic and they can be described as people who drink all day every day and are powerless over alcohol.

I politely said that I may look well put together but I AM an alcoholic. I'd tried moderation for 18 months and it was more unsuccessful than not. I nearly asked him if he'd like me to go away and come back when I had lost my job and friends. But instead, I said 'are you testing me?'

I thought it was friends and family that try and convince you you're not an alcoholic, not the people that you have built up the courage to seek help from!

When it came to sharing I told then all that it was my 1st Friday in 15 years that I hadn't drunk after work with colleagues. Everyone was pleased for me. I spoke to a few people after and they said that this guy was a self righteous jerk.

I can honestly say, that if this had been my 1st AA meet I wouldn't have gone back. What a complete contrast to yesterday's welcome.

Proud if myself and signing out on day 7!

S x
So you can control your drinking? Guess you're not an alcoholic then.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:33 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Sounds like you handled the situation beautifully. Congratulations on Day 7!!!
Old 11-05-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

ignore em man

If like me you want to stop a devil given habit keep going mate, ignore all the doom mongers, i was told that after 6 months i could not be addicted to cocaine, in truth i was addicted from day one, but with help i am a week clean not a big step granted but its still a step and one that needed taking

if they are not there to help you so you can help each other then they are worthless, not you mate you are already one step ahead of them.

Addiction is not the amount of time spent addicted its about realising that you are and doing something about is 6 months or 6 years it makes no odds be proud of yourself because you have take the first step and that mate is alwats the hardest