Notices

is there hope

Old 04-10-2004, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy is there hope

Hi I am new to this site and would like to tell you a bit about my situation. My c/l started using crack/cocaine about 4 months ago. I left amonth after he started using and moved to a new city. Shortly after I left he checked himself into detox. He stayed there for a week and then moved back in with me and my kids. He had problems finding a job here as there isn't much 4 work. He was clean for amonth and then started using again, because we didn't have any money he resorted to stealing. He is currently in jail. Now he tells me that this has opened his eyes (it has been 20 years since he has been in jail), he doesn't want to live like this, that he realizes now that he needs help from other people. When he came back he thought he could control it on his own, now he sees that he can't. Does anyone hve any advice or stories of hope that an addict can recover?
Old 04-10-2004, 01:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Zelda and welcome!

People recover every day. The key is the willingness and desire to do whatever it takes. I'm an alcoholic, but I couldn't quit on my own. Finding a means of support like AA or NA is alway's a good start though it's not the only option. If the addict or alcoholic is done, sick and tired of it all and finally fines the courage and strength to do it it can be done. Please visit our Nar-Anon forums so you can see your not alone in this and how the wonderful people here deal with that type of situation.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:19 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sweet Sounds of Heaven

Welcome Zelda

Hello Zelda, My name is True Blue aka Janet and I am a addict. I am a 44 year old women who has been using drugs for 30 years on & off. More on than off. The last 2 years my obsession with drugs crossed this really wicked line.

Today with the help of God, family, AA, & SR I have so much hope that I can live my life clean. To me if someone wants to get clean & stay clean they have to do it for themself and no one else. It is a choice we are given.

Zelda I am a true miracle.

I wish you the best.
Old 04-10-2004, 01:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thank you for replying and giving me some hope. It is so hard to believe when the trust has been broken. I want to help my A in any way I can but sometimes I think I have too much anger and am not really helping, only making things worse. What can I do to be a positive support system for him? Thanks again I really appreciate it.
Old 04-10-2004, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Zelda,

Hugs and prayers for you and your family. The thing I find so baffling is that, as an addict, at any time I can choose to stop using and stop the cycle. It took me a lot of heartache to make that choice. I had to hit rock bottom. There is no way to hasten the process and get the addict fixed. I had to let go of the old playmates, old playgrounds... and the thing was, I had to do it for me. Once a person gets so old, mom and dad stop breathing down our necks and it is time to make adult decisions. I started drinking at 14 and using at 15. I am now 19, 20 tomorrow! AHHH... and it has been 14 months since my last drugging. It was hard for me to stop depending on my folks or a boyfriend, and start doing things for me. There is hope though. Unfortunately, no one can say when and if recovery will happen for your SO. But do not give up hope. Although, be sure to take care of YOU and do what is best for YOU. My mom after a few years had to start doing things for her. It pissed me off that she would not write me while in lock up, or would not let me back home... but I learned some valuable lessons. And I am now a person that people LIKE to be around! You hang in there, and try checking out the Naranon forum. There is a lot of support and encouragement here.

Hugs and Prayers,

Dot
Old 04-10-2004, 02:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

dot

First of all I would like to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Thank you so much for your words of encouragement. You truly give me hope that it is possible for an addict to recover. Who knows what tomorrow will bring. Congrats on 14 months of sobriety.
Zelda
Old 04-10-2004, 02:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi zelda,
I'm Dan, a grateful recovering addict. We do recover, but very rarely without help. And never, if we don't absolutely want it. I see the gang has already given you great hope. Take care of yourself.

DD
Old 04-10-2004, 04:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Dan,
I just wanted to say thank you for your reply. You have me given me hope for my A. I am so grateful for this site. Even though I have just joined, there has already been so much kindness and words of wisdom I am overwhelmed. It is nice to know that there is so much support here, I wish I would have found this site a few months ago. My friends and family don't understand why I keep talking to my A, now I have found new friends who understand and know what i am going through. I hope one day I too can give support and friendship to someone who feels all alone.
Thanks again, Zelda
Old 04-10-2004, 04:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Dan

I think it's so important that you know you need support as well. My wife has been to places I would never want to visit because of my addiction. She has started an Al-Anon program and attends meetings and draws so much positive reinforcement from her fellowship. She now wishes she had started earlier. Good luck zelda.

DD
Old 04-10-2004, 04:31 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice Dan, something I will definitely think about.
Zelda
Old 11-20-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi,
I've started to post on this site.
I'm grateful to be sober for the past 12 weeks and it is great to be coherent and with it these days. lets hope it stays this way!
I'm building a sobriety network to help keep myself sober and I'm thankful for this site for being here.
Terry 12
Old 11-20-2015, 08:23 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

HI Terry

You'll get more responses if you start your own threads - this ones 11 years old

D
Old 11-21-2015, 11:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Terry!!