Notices

I did it!

Old 11-01-2012, 10:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I did it!

Finally made it through 20 days without slipping! Might sound silly but it's a big deal to me. I failed twice before since joining this board, at least in the past 2 months or so. I failed much sooner than 20 days many times before that.

For some reason in the past 20 days felt like a get out of jail card. This time it didn't even feel like jail and there was no desire to drink. I've been tempted numerous times, but for me, it's the meetings that make all the difference. And having work put us up in a hotel could have been a real challenge - but it wasn't. That used to mean major party time at the hotel bar.

Here in NJ I have a lot to be thankful for, I had power out for a few days and that is all. Many people in Hoboken and along the shore are ruined. I can't imagine what they are going through. I got a flat tire from some debris in the road and I hope to get that fixed tomorrow so I can drive again, and when I can I'm hoping to be able to find A) a meeting and B) some way I can maybe do something for the people who need help a few towns away.

I hope everyone here escaped the hurricane's wrath and
Old 11-01-2012, 10:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

it's not silly at all - it's a great achievement
congratulations backbeat

D
Old 11-01-2012, 10:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 20 days. It is a big deal! It is neat how people understand that here.

I love and appreciate you grateful and positive attitude. Glad you weathered the storm ok and hope you have a rewarding and meaningful day tomorrow. Just doing whatever you can do is significant and I am sure it will be appreciated.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:56 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yay!! Glad you found what works! Whenever I start to slip into the thinking that drinking might work for me I remember the misery of my last drunken episode-and it was pretty bad. I want that to be my LAST drunken episode ever and it will be so long as I don't pick it up. God bless, keep up the great work you've started!
Old 11-02-2012, 12:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
instant

well done Backbeat. I remember when any sober day for me was a major achievement, after false starts and broken promises to myself. It is a cause for humility but also for celebration- great stuff.
Old 11-02-2012, 12:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done, good job.

I so appreciate reading here that you've made 20 days. I know it's ODAAT but my next target is 10 days after I read a poster saying that was when they felt great, and now the one following that will be 20 days.

I saw the coastal damage in NJ on the tv in the gym last night from her in the UK and was nearly in tears watching a lady who had found a photo of her grandson in the rubble. She then said 'we lost him last year, puts this into perspective'. I hope you find a way to help.

S x