Notices

Felt like I had lost something when started drinking again!

Old 10-31-2012, 04:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Felt like I had lost something when started drinking again!

Hi guys hope your well, I started a thread a little while back asking if alcoholics can ever moderate the general consensus was NO but I thought I am differant so started drinking again the first week went ok but every morning I would wake up and feel down I missed that first moment when you open our eyes that place between sleep and awake I use to love knowing that the next thing I was going to feel was happinesss to be alive, not fear anxiety desperation that used to hit me like a sledge hammer after a binge. I also felt upset even tho I was moderating in the beginning I still did not want to be drinking really it's like I have truly fallen out of love with alcohol. I was sober for 2 months and my sobriety started to feel real, it started to mean something to me it was my little bit of happiness it made me feel good about myself and I missed it!!

So iam back now I want my sobriety back for me!! Just throwing it out here that moderating for a while is no where near as good as recovery it's just 1 big illusion in a alcoholics head!!!
Old 10-31-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I agree, but sometimes, people have to find that out for themselves.

I'm glad you have decided to again seek recovery.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Glad you're back and giving it another go.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

In the end I knew I wanted to be sober - I finally realised it was the way I was meant to be and it beat out the fear of change and being different and all those other things that held me back from full recovery commitment for such a long time

I'm glad you're back

D
Old 10-31-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back.
I think if someone comes to a recovery site like this, truly, the moderating thing is just a hope. If we could moderate, we would have done it.
I realize now, that the only thing that moderated for me for years was CLOSING TIME.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

Also the moderating only lasted 10 days, after that I was back to drinking enough to black out and be sick..
Old 10-31-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so glad you posted this!

That moment you talk about between awake and asleep, I so understand you.

I still struggle with panic and anxiety in the morning and I wonder if it has become ingrained in me to feel like this after years of drinking.

I remember a few years ago, I started to try and have more sober nights and I sometimes woke up smiling as I came too and remembered that last night I did not drink. I had nothing to worry about, it was all fine.

Thank you for yor post it means a lot too me.
I hope things work out for you in your quest to stop drinking and that your mornings continue to rock!!!

xxxx
Old 10-31-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It happened to me, too Lionhearted. I was sober 3 yrs. & decided to have 'a glass' of wine. 7 yrs. later I came limping into SR, totally broken.

Thank you for sharing that valuable knowledge with us. Glad you are back and starting again - this time you know the truth.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you posted and that you're back and sober.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post lionhearted. I think we all just have to get to that point where we are REALLY ready. Sounds like you definitely learned a lot from your relapse and I am glad to see you back
Old 10-31-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The AV & the lies it tells......so glad you can see the truth now.
And the other "truths" that follow, I CAN quit forever, I WILL quit forever & my life WILL be BETTER sober.

Welcome back
Old 10-31-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Thanks for the post, Lion - glad you're back!

You brought up a great point when you talked about feeling unique. I felt that way too. It's like a subtle kind of denial.

I found all kinds of ways to believe that maybe "the normal rules didn't apply", that maybe I could control it next time, that I was stronger/weaker, my life was harder, or whatever....... It crazy how I was only fooling myself!

Glad you saw the illusion for what it is!
Old 10-31-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Nothing is better than waking up in the morning without the guilt and misery drinking brings us.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

Great post Lionhearted... I really needed to read this posts and the comments today.
Old 10-31-2012, 11:27 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post, it is a good reminder. I have tried moderation in the past and it never worked. I am on day 20 (almost 21) and once if twice I have thought, hmmm, I can just have a glass of wine, or maybe in a few weeks I can have a glass of wine again. However, I know the reality is it would not be "a" glass of wine.

Welcome back!!
Old 11-01-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome home! Drove past my former close to work drive thru wine shack yesterday and literally shuddered when I thought of drinking. All my senses were in the moment and I could smell it and taste it and I realized I never drank for the nuance or to be sheik. I drank to get chyt faced and self medicate - and I could do it in 60 minutes. Talk about disease and addiction - So glad you are back with us - onward and upward!!
Old 11-01-2012, 07:16 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Unfortunately I had to find out what did not work so I could do the things that did.

Welcome back. You live and learn