Notices

Opportunities

Old 10-31-2012, 05:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Opportunities

Before I lost power in the storm I was watching TV and the movie Evan Almighty was on. A silly comedy of a guy who builds an ark because God told him to before a great flood The movie is cute.

But there is a scene that always makes me think. It's when Morgan Freeman, who plays God, says to the wife that when we ask for something do we get that very thing.... Or the opportunity to have or become that thing.

I have always asked to be humble. But do I become humble from the request or the opportunities presented to me to actually be humble.

It's trite. But it makes me feel good to remember to see opportunities everyday to do or be a great many things.

Today with the storm I can already foresee opportunities to be companionate and supportive of my coworkers less fortunate than me.

Maybe even opportunities to help.

No matter what I come across today I am always presented with the opportunities to be sober.

And that alone presents so many more!

K
Old 10-31-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good Morning-

I think what your write is true. I pray for patience and seem to be given more than enough opportunities to test it. Sometimes I can allow that other person to walk ahead, other times, I don't allow someone to cut in front of me to get on the subway first. It is a daily training ground, here in the city. I have to say, I fail more than I am able to show patience.

I was told the longer I stay sober, the more narrow the road I walk on becomes. And it is so true. I get so frustrated with myself that I cannot rid myself of some of these characteristics that I so want to be rid of. I guess it's called the human condition.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yup. I have that I need to act on whatever it is I am praying for. My understanding of prayer is that it is for me. I need prayer to keep connected to God. God would be alright if I never prayed to Him at all. I believe he is more interested in what I do on my feet than what I say on my knees. When I ask for something like humility or patience, its my job to practice those things. Its God's job to remove the defects that prevent me from being those things. Prayer without action is like faith without works.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

So good to see your okay Weasel..

Keep being the great asset you are..
Old 10-31-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Yeah I am feeling positive today. When I think of things the only issues in my life are created by me. No one is causing problems for me. Just drinking and drugging. I don't say just lightly.

But today I stopped to consider the opportunities that presents and how I can recognize in that how to get my sh!t together.

K
Old 10-31-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Nice post ken. Your last comment resonated with me. I used to excuse my drinking as a result of my life challenges, marriage issues, work stress, etc. it wasn't until I finally quit that I realized how much of my marriage issues were a result of my drinking. I removed the drinking, and the marriage is recovering in a very meaningful way.
Being sober hasn't fixed all of my troubles, but it did fix my life! Wishing you the best.
Old 10-31-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi weasel! Your post reminded me of a drinking joke: an alcoholic pulls into a packed parking lot. After driving around a few laps he prays, "god, if you give me a place to park I will give up drinking." Just then a parking spot appears and the alcoholic prays, "never mind God, I got this covered"
Hope you have a great day. I need to remember Gods got this covered.