Notices

Helping family member detox off opiates

Old 10-30-2012, 10:48 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Helping family member detox off opiates

Hi,

I figured I'd start here. I've been a grateful member of Al-Anon since 1986 and have worked my program since then. The alcoholics in my life are gone, but I now have a son addicted to heroin. Tougher than alcoholism for me, and even tougher that it's my child.

I've kept my mouth shut and let him hit bottom on his own. Made it plain to him when he came to live with me a year ago: what he did with his life was up to him, and if he wanted to keep using I didn't care. I meant it and said it. Kinda useless to say it if I didn't truly mean it - he'd know instantly if I felt any hesitance. Not spoken in a harsh way - just made it clear that I wasn't there to fix him, or tell him how to live, or police his activities. He pretty much accepted that eventually.

He has recently decided to detox at home with my support. Have stocked up on all the stuff needed (immodium, benadryl, gatorade, etc). Not looking forward to it. Will probably post on "Friends and Family of Substance Abusers" forum next.

Wish me luck in the next 2 weeks to come...
Old 10-30-2012, 10:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I wish you luck TRC.

I'm not sure if you sought any professional medical input or not, but I can't see how that would be a bad idea.

wishing the best to you and your son

D
Old 10-31-2012, 04:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Good luck. I would just advise you to seek medical advice if you have to at any point during his detox. I have a friend who home detoxed from a heavy heroin habit. Proper old school locked in a room type stuff. Took him 10 days. Apparently it wasn't all that nice. Looks like you have stuff sorted out though.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope it goes well. I would also consult a dr.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I have medical resources to call if needed. He is definitely at the 'Lock in a room' level of tolerance for opiates. But we don't have a room without windows. He asked me to drive him to a meeting as soon as it's over with. Says he knows he can't go through getting clean without help. Nearly fell off my chair, but I kept my mouth shut and just said "Of course I will".

Any suggestions about what will help ease the withdrawal symptoms appreciated.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile RE: Helping Family Member detox

I was addicted to oxycodone supposed to be a form of heroin.. I was taking 20 pills at 30mg a piece per day! I tried to do the cold turkey thing but found it unbearable..What did it for me was suboxone..It's amazing stuff!!! Your Son would only have to go through about 24-48 hrs of withdrawls before taking suboxone which would take the physical withdrawls away... This is something you may want to consider. Hope all goes well..
Old 11-03-2012, 10:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Wow!

Originally Posted by beenthere80 View Post
I was addicted to oxycodone supposed to be a form of heroin.. I was taking 20 pills at 30mg a piece per day! I tried to do the cold turkey thing but found it unbearable..What did it for me was suboxone..It's amazing stuff!!! Your Son would only have to go through about 24-48 hrs of withdrawls before taking suboxone which would take the physical withdrawls away... This is something you may want to consider. Hope all goes well..
Holy S#!* !!! That's an incredible accomplishment! You have more courage than most people for sure. Kudos!

He can't go the suboxone route (it's complicated, but conclusive). He's at the point where he's in withdrawal half the time anyway and is just plain sick of it.

He knows he will never, ever taper off. And he's been incredibly sick from withdrawal before, so he knows he can live through that again. He may be stubborn, but he is honest with himself about his own capabilities.

We have a script for clonodine, stocking up on immodium and dextormethorphan. Cleaning the bathtub for warm baths. Any other tips appreciated.
Old 11-03-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Water water water! Make sure he stays hydrated! Look up the Thomas Method for extra tips and vitamins / supplements he can take.

Delete all drug connect / dealer / user phone numbers immediately.

Meetings are awesome, yes, and maybe get him some recovery books or movies.

There's also a website called "how to quit heroin for good"
The guy Jorge that maintains it is AWESOME he has been a lifeline. He will e-mail your son or you and be supportive. He has beat his own habbit and been clean for many years.

Good luck! Prayers and good vibes for your son. I am in SoCal doing the same thing (ex heroin user who slipped and used now clean and on day 2. Tell your son to look me up on here if he needs support. I KNOW how hard it is.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Thanks! Overlooked that...

Originally Posted by BabyJane View Post
Water water water! Make sure he stays hydrated! Look up the Thomas Method for extra tips and vitamins / supplements he can take.

Delete all drug connect / dealer / user phone numbers immediately.

Meetings are awesome, yes, and maybe get him some recovery books or movies.

There's also a website called "how to quit heroin for good"
The guy Jorge that maintains it is AWESOME he has been a lifeline. He will e-mail your son or you and be supportive. He has beat his own habbit and been clean for many years.

Good luck! Prayers and good vibes for your son. I am in SoCal doing the same thing (ex heroin user who slipped and used now clean and on day 2. Tell your son to look me up on here if he needs support. I KNOW how hard it is.

Thank you. A few years back he went through withdrawal; became so dehydrated he ended up at the local emergency clinic. They gave him several IV bags to re-hydrate him. It's so easy to focus on the big stuff and overlook the simple things.

Trying to make it through this without him getting so sick he can't hold water down. But there's an emergency room a few miles away, so off he goes if we reach that point.

Good vibes to you. Heroin is evil...
Old 11-05-2012, 12:41 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

How is it going is he doing ok?

Praying for you both.