Notices

Afraid and Lonely

Old 11-21-2012, 03:33 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

u can do it sistah!
Old 11-21-2012, 11:43 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Edelady: You say you're afraid and lonely. I'm that way too. I've not had a drink for a long long time but I'm still afraid and lonely. Now at my age, time is running out for me. I have few friends and rely mostly on books, TV and my dog. But the one bright spot in my life is that I no longer want to drink. That's something I never had before. I may not have done much else with my life but at least I've done that. And I know that if I were drinking now I'd be even more afraid and lonely.

W.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The only thing you can't control in your life is alcohol?

Look at it this way, you can control whether or not you take a drink.

Choose not to drink and get some help from your Doctor or support group.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

i think it's time you stop drinking. seems like the cycle of drinking and anxiety is not working out.
and by the way i thought i was the one with the "world's worst hangovers" and "world's worst anxiety"... my fiends seemed to shrug the drinking off, i always suffered way too much.

you've said that drinking made your depression and anxiety worse... so it seems like you are doing the right thing by stopping. many here went through the same patterns as you have... and in the end nobody ever regretted stopping drinking. but you do need to be sober for a while to really start seeing the light. it does get better.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I can relate to a lot of what you're going through. I self medicated my anxiety disorder with wine, which only made the anxiety worse. Looking back it's hard for me to tell what came first: the drinking or the anxiety. Either way, quitting drinking is going to help you be able to treat whatever underlying issues you may have, but until you eliminate the alcohol it will be hard for you to differentiate how you're really feeling vs. depression/anxiety that comes with withdrawal. I have the same prescriptions that were written for you and with therapy they could work for you. I would especially suggest giving the lexapro a try. It's not fast acting but it will allow you to begin to "level out" and manage your anxiety. I will stress, however, not to being any of the medications until you've stopped drinking. They won't work properly and can be extremely dangerous when combined with the booze, especially Xanax. I don't mean to lecture as I'm not far into recovery either, but I've been where you are and you will feel better. I was the same way. A bottle of wine would take away the anxiety, but it would only come back stronger the next day. You don't have to feel that way and you are fortunate that you can make a change now before the negative consequences gain in severity.

Best of luck to you! Stay strong!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:38 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Edelady28 View Post
Hey everyone...so I had a relapse..on Monday night I drank two bottles of wine and had a hangover that was so bad yesterday I fainted I feel like a complete failure...why is this so hard...I've always known I had a very 'addictive' personality from quite a young age. For example, when I was younger, I would switch off my feelings by being obsessed with computer games, then it evolved to reading (one book after the next so I'd stop thinking), and the book trend lasted up until last year when all this drinking started...it feels like I'm always looking for something to stop me from 'feeling'. I'm very upset with myself, and as I'm quite a weak person (I once would got sick at the drop of a hat), I know my body can't take it anymore, despite the fact Im in my twentys. My last binge (before this one), scared me because I had a bad nose bleed...followed my shorting pain up one side of my head. I get that pain periodically now. My cycle is completely messed up. I know I'm damaging myself, so I can't understand why I don't love myself enough to stop, why don't I care about myself? Or my family? I feel so selfish...if anything ever happened me they would be devastated. (They don't know about my addiction). I hate being this way :/
Hi Ede, we are here for you no matter what. I am also a wine drinker. I love the taste of red wine, and I was downing at least a bottle a day until five days ago. I am glad you had the courage to come back to us.
Hugs,
JunebugApril