Notices

You can be sober but not recovering and rude

Old 10-30-2012, 08:06 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

What we might to to work towards is to tolerate the religious beliefs of others and reject intolerance. This is also true as to those who profess to be agnostics or atheists. If, as sometimes happens, others are intolerant towards us, then they deserve our pity and, if possible, our understanding. "Healthy" religion, as William James wrote, is a comfort and commendable for those who believe. But when religion fosters dogma and hatred, or persecution of others, it becomes "unhealthy". If someone says something upsetting, perhaps the best thing is to say nothing and, sadly, turn away and go elsewhere. I have walked out on a meeting when I thought things were getting out of hand. I would say that I honestly didn't see how degrading the beliefs of others helps me stay sober. And hearing others do so threatens my sobriety.

W.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

WHEN I AM DISTURBED BY THE CONDUCT (SYMPTOMS) OF OTHERS
"This is a sick man. How can I be helpful to him? God save me from being angry. Thy will be done."
(p. 67 BB)
Old 10-30-2012, 08:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Fortunately I am secure in my sobriety as I am in my atheism so nothing anybody can say will threaten either. Tolerance is wonderful and needs to be practiced by both the believer and non believer alike. Unfortunately my experience has been much like Fitz just described.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It is ok I think popeye said it the best I am what i am and that's all that I am.