Notices

Getting canned

Old 10-27-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Getting canned

I can't believe it. A friend at work gave me warning. I'll either get put on probation, which means they are going to can me, or I'll get asked to leave, with a few months padding to find work. So there's the bright side of things.

It's no lie I've realized I dislike my work. But I wanted to leave on my terms, not theirs! I feel kind of rejected. But I will not drink over this.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

What are their grounds for doing this?

One door may close, another may open. I gave my former employer a reason every day to fire me (I kept getting online to aa online chatroom, even though I was still drinking, and sometimes coming in to SR when asked NOT to be online) and they fired me with some lame reason. They had a phone conference with Department of Unemployment, and I won. Silly them. I ended up drinking for 10 days, then stopping. I ended up getting "paid" to recover! (it was one way of looking at it)

Today I have over 17 months of sobriety, working on 18 months.... A blessing in disguise for me!

Maybe your higher power knew you'd hang onto that job without getting up the courage to leave them..... Now is your chance. Of course, it could just be a rumor. Some people don't like us when we are sober. Until you have "word" from work, you can either make it your chance to move on and beat them at the firing, or work until that supposed firing happens then make a move forward....

You have choices today!

Big hugs and love,
Old 10-27-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If it happens, hopefully you'll get the 'time release' option so you'll have the opportunity to look for a job you really want to do without the pressure of unemployment, Lost

D
Old 10-27-2012, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Some of God's greatest gifts, are unanswered prayers. Be careful what you wish for? I hope you make full use of the opportunity that you have wished for. Many would procrastinate forever in fear. You are getting help and a cushion? I am rooting for you!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am sorry you are having to go through this. It is hard to remember but when one door closes another one will open. It might even be a job you like better then the one you have now.

We are here to support you and encourage you.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was kind of fired we called it early retirement. i was drinking on the job. Not good. I owned it all. Now as you know I do service work. I don't earn a salary but get paid in love.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe that everything happens for a reason, so if this is happening, then you're meant to leave this job and move on to something else.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yeah, same story here. Left on good terms from my last fancy pants job but they weren't mine, that's for sure however, although it was devastating at the time, I wound up finding a better job, more prestigious, less stressful (no employees, yay!), awesome travel and the same good salary. Yes, I worked hard to get it - but without my previous, ummm, circumstance I would not be here today and most definitely not sober. I didn't realize how unhappy I was at that job until I left.

Moral of the story - it sucks right now but I do believe there is always more opportunity around the corner even if you are staring at a wall.

Best wishes to you and I will be rooting for you!
Old 10-27-2012, 05:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

l got fired because of my drinking and got a much nicer job later on...
Some things just have to happen...
Old 10-27-2012, 05:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know how you feel and I know no matter what people say on here, you feel lausy. But we will be here to listen. And btw drinking will not help in this situation either.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I hope a new door opens for you, and leads you to a job you love.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lost,

Well, at least youve got a heads up. Are you in a position to negotiate the terms of your leaving in a way that would be most beneficial to you? Early retirement? resignation? It's possible you may get a severance package or if not, unemployment. Are you union? If so, speak to your rep ASAP.

Do you want to stay with the job? Any chance of negotiatiing last chance agreement?

Please keep us posted.

Love from Lenina
Old 10-28-2012, 10:21 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Hey all, thanks for all the posts. I've been obsessively looking for work.

They don't really have any grounds, "it just isn't working out". Basically, one of the lawyers is pushing me out - she doesn't like me and I don't like her. It's complicated but that's really what sums it up.

I've got another 25 years for retirement, so that's out of the question!

Not union, no rep.

I am thinking like a lot of people have written here, this is happening for a reason. It's true, I did hate my job. But I probably would have just sat there forever, miserable, had this push not come thru.

It's def not a rumor, it's going to happen. But I do not know when. And yeah, I am super lucky to have been given the warning. I might be able to circumvent the probation, and I do feel like if I just say, look, I'm going to leave, just need time to find work - they will give me that at least.

Funny, I spent years and years wasted, never lost a job. Now that I'm sober, I'm getting fired! WTH!?!?

So I'm working like mad to find work. I really want to get into government, but that might take forever, so for now I'm looking for whatever can pay the bills, then will worry about the rest later.

The amazing thing out of this is my husband. I really feel him here for me. Before, I would have completely smothered this all out with getting drunk. Now, I'm really AWARE of my husband and can really feel his love and support for me. It's just amazing. I'm so lucky. He keeps telling me, don't worry honey, we will get thru this.

Talk about a 1, 2 punch. First his surgery, now this. But he's right, we'll get thru it. It's just tough now. Wish me luck, I'm in the office tomorrow and I know it's going to be hard. I'll keep you all up to date. Thanks so much for the love and thoughts.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You are an inspiration Lost. I am sure you will find some work which is better for you, it is easy for people to manage you out of a position but harder to leave a job on your own terms. I have had a few problems at work lately so I had a bit of a pang reading your post. I am under a year sober though so I didn't want to make any rash decisions myself. I hope it all works out for the best. Massive hugs xxx
Old 10-29-2012, 06:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Lost, this might have happened if you were still drinking. Don't think that "now that I'm sober, look at what I'm dealing with" because I did that, too. We just don't know what tomorrow will bring, do we? At least today you ARE sober and have sobriety so you can deal with this better.

Jobs come and go, partners get ill, life happens.

You now have an opportunity to find that new job. Use any tools of recovery you have to help you get through this (and you will!).

I really wish you well! Stay strong, stay sober, keep moving forward in your life!!!

Really big hugs & love,
Old 10-29-2012, 06:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lost...Like Sugarbear said...

Keep posting...You will get through this challenge..

Jim
Old 10-29-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
You are an inspiration Lost. I am sure you will find some work which is better for you, it is easy for people to manage you out of a position but harder to leave a job on your own terms. I have had a few problems at work lately so I had a bit of a pang reading your post. I am under a year sober though so I didn't want to make any rash decisions myself. I hope it all works out for the best. Massive hugs xxx
Me too - I'll be 10 months sober this Wed. I wasn't going to do anything big either for the first year. But I guess the decision is being made for me, so all I can do now is roll with the punches. You are so right, easy for others to make the decision, harder for me to leave on my own terms. Thanks for the well wishes.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
Lost, this might have happened if you were still drinking. Don't think that "now that I'm sober, look at what I'm dealing with" because I did that, too. We just don't know what tomorrow will bring, do we? At least today you ARE sober and have sobriety so you can deal with this better.

Jobs come and go, partners get ill, life happens.

You now have an opportunity to find that new job. Use any tools of recovery you have to help you get through this (and you will!).

I really wish you well! Stay strong, stay sober, keep moving forward in your life!!!

Really big hugs & love,
Yeah, true. If it happened when I was drinking I'd be a total mess. Who knows how bad I'd make it, drinking. Who knows how much worse I'd be by now. Life blows sometimes! But I'm sober, I'm moving forward.

Thanks so much sugar.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

Originally Posted by soberjim View Post
Lost...Like Sugarbear said...

Keep posting...You will get through this challenge..

Jim
Thanks Jim, I'm really glad to have you as my SR/online friend.

Today's Monday, anything can happend!! Good thoughts all around!! Everyone have a good work day!!