Notices

Storm Sandy

Old 10-29-2012, 06:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Storm Sandy

To my US East Coast friends. . .please be safe during this unprecedented storm. The federal government is shut down, all trains, metro, etc. closed. We have been checking in on elderly neighbors and those who aren't able bodied.

I don't normally get worked up about storms, but this one has me spooked.

Wishing everyone well over the next few days. Take care of yourselves and others.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey change! Stay safe.

Just watched the news and I am in the 80 - 90 mph wind area. Things are calm right now.

Hope you have prepared well. I think i did but only time will tell.
Old 10-29-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Hey change! Stay safe.

Just watched the news and I am in the 80 - 90 mph wind area. Things are calm right now.

Hope you have prepared well. I think i did but only time will tell.
Weasel, I thought about you in New York. How far inland are you? Sending good thoughts your way.

I am cooking everything in the fridge, as we will surely loose power by 3 pm. The kids had salmon, asparagus, and bearnaise for breakfast. :-)
Old 10-29-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My son is in DC (Marine) Now I am stressing, why am I just now realizing this...grrrrr!!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am somewhat in a safe area for water. But the wind is what may get me. The house was built in1889 and it has pretty old aspects to handle a hurricane at full speed. I will take precautions to be in the interior room.

The are a lot of doors between each room so I can section off the house if windows done hold up.

I have two old trees that have had branches come down in less so I suspect they may be uprooted.

I have a roast I am going to start in a little while. Need to be made or lose it. I have a gas stove so I can cook with no power if needed.

Let's see how this goes.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey! Just to say am thinking about all of you guys who are going to be affected by Sandy. I'm from Scotland and can't even begin to imagine what it will be like but am worrying about you all x
Old 10-29-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Being a volunteer EMT and hubby being a volunteer firefighter, we are all hands on deck. Our town is at sea level and already is experiencing a lot of flooding. It's going to be a long couple of days.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i live in philly i am very scared
Old 10-29-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilgolden73 View Post
My son is in DC (Marine) Now I am stressing, why am I just now realizing this...grrrrr!!
Please don't stress. DC has been preparing for this storm for days, and crews are in place. And, the marines are great in crisis. :-)
Old 10-29-2012, 07:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks, keep me updated on the conditions there, he won't answer his phone....brat he is!
Old 10-29-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Old 10-29-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm in southeastern CT in one of the shoreline towns, but I live about 5 miles from Long Island Sound.

I'm sheltered in a valley...so far haven't seen much in terms of winds. Gusts are forecast to be pretty significant late afternoon into the night.

Looks like NYC is going to get hit pretty hard by this. West Virginia will be hit with blizzard conditions!

Amazing storm...hard to believe the sheer size of it.

Stay safe, peeps.
Old 10-29-2012, 07:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SlimSlim View Post
I'm in southeastern CT in one of the shoreline towns, but I live about 5 miles from Long Island Sound.

I'm sheltered in a valley...so far haven't seen much in terms of winds. Gusts are forecast to be pretty significant late afternoon into the night.

Looks like NYC is going to get hit pretty hard by this. West Virginia will be hit with blizzard conditions!

Amazing storm...hard to believe the sheer size of it.

Stay safe, peeps.
Slim, you surely know this, but the valley areas are especially precarious after the storm. The water has to go somewhere. This is the first hurricane in the past 300 years that is packing snow along with winds and rain.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

It is crazy have not even seen a cloud out here in thewest in a month. We are in major drought. All take care
Old 10-29-2012, 08:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

My advice is to stay out of wet places but in your case that will be a bit difficult.

Be safe and sober
Old 10-29-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for everyone in the path of this Hurricane.

I am in south-eastern Canada and we expect a lot of rain and very high winds for the next couple of days.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:33 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CloseToRecovery View Post
anytime there are these types of storms that hit our country it bothers me, i dont like to see anyone in danger. now it is heading my way and i hate to say it but the stress from this madness isnt very comforting right now. will i use, i highly doubt it because there will be NO stores open to but anything. it just seems as of late there have been way too many of these hurricanes hitting landfall. ever since katrina we have been nailed almost every season, are these signs of things to come?
How bad is it in NY right now? My mom lives about an hour outside the city.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Prayers going up for all in harm's way to be safe - this one looks terrifying. So much damage already and storm is still hours away from truly hitting.
Old 10-29-2012, 08:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Lower manhattan is starting to have some water. Later is expected to be the worst part and over night.

The tunnels are closing. A very rare event.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

i'm 30 miles west of NYC, my daughter lives on the beach year round...the barrier dunes have not been breached in the morning high tide, it's tonight that worries me. she is boarded up and surrounded by sandbags.

the university where i work is closed until Wednesday (we are state govt. non essential personal). the med students are off too.

it's windy here and raining intermittently, you are supposed to stay off the roads today...i have no where to go, it's not a big deal. I have full power and cable, internet and heat. I have gas for cooking too. i'm 50+ miles inland, but the trees are the biggest threat.