Notices

Rock Concert: Tips & Strategies

Old 10-28-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rock Concert: Tips & Strategies

I am going to a concert tomorrow night and am a little worried since I won't be drinking. I am pretty sure I can handle it but was just wondering if anyone had any tips or strategies. I am not worried about the concert its the between acts and waiting for things to kick off when I usually drink.

Tips?
Old 10-28-2012, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If I was as newly sober as you, I wouldn't risk drinking by going. That's just me. I always got wasted at live shows. I passed on a concert early in sobriety that I was dying to see. But knew if I went, the urge to drink might be too much.

There will be plenty of other concerts when you have a strong foundation in recovery.

Sorry I couldn't give you practical tips for getting through the show sober.
Old 10-28-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

People and Places... When newly sober were instrumental for me...

Being from the kind of people that eat acid and mushrooms ... I didnt see a sober show in over 20 years.

If you go I just wish you the best.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Once I made a decision to go to a concert sober it was great. I recorded the show and didn't screw up my recorder. There was a coked out guy in the audience at the foot of the stage screaming and clapping at what was a quiet passage and I thought, 'I'm glad I'm not that idiot.' In fact I noticed a number of people's drunken behavior (and have it on tape). I drove home sans paranoia re: DUI.

Maybe bring some refrigerated sodas or seltza waters in your bookbag that you can chug. You'll remember the show and feel better in the morning.
Old 10-28-2012, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

Wharf Rats - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From the link:

"Wharf Rats are a group of concert-goers who have chosen to live drug and alcohol free.

Their primary purpose is to support other concert goers who choose to live drug-free, like themselves. They announce their presence with yellow balloons, signs, and the Wharf Rats information table. At a set break during Grateful Dead (and related) concerts they would hold 12-step style meetings but are not affiliated specifically with any 12-Step organization and have no requirement for attendance at one of their meetings besides providing some helpful sober fellowship..."

Their website:

Welcome Wharfrats! | …a little traction in an otherwise slippery environment
Old 10-28-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Bring someone else not drinking or drugging with you. Enjoy the show.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I couldn't have gone to a concert soberly at around 2 weeks - tho I tried many times - so I'm not sure what advice I have either, Eu?

D
Old 10-28-2012, 01:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's too soon - I would not go. Reschedule for 6 months from now. It's not worth your sobriety.
Good luck.
Pam
Old 10-28-2012, 04:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

To be honest still found this a bit of a trigger at nearly 8 months, so would be inclined to give it a miss too... but if you're going, do the opposite of what you would normally do at a gig. I would usually make sure I could get to the bar easily, and would generally miss the support acts to drink. This time I got stuck in the mosh pit and watched all the support acts, took loads of photos... much more fun sober x Let us know how you get on x
Old 10-28-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I went to a gig at around 1 week sober. I was lucky because I have sober friends so I stuck with them, I knew that I would be safe. The first gig I went to without them I was worried about the bar. I was worried that I'd accidentally order a pint, just on autopilot. Instead of going to the bar in the break you can take advantage of all the lovely room that people are freeing up while they top up their drinks and get a better view ;-)
You could also check out the merch stand and buy yourself something nice with the money you're saving by not drinking.
If you have any doubts, even while you're there, you can leave.
Good luck, stay safe and have fun!
Old 10-28-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I agree with the notion that there will be plenty of opportunities for other concerts down the road. Waiting may be a good idea. However, I too have gone to a couple in early recovery although in my case, it was difficult to have "a good time". I did not drink and it was fine but different. If you go, I hope you can enjoy it immensly and yet STAY SOBER! That is the important part regardless of your feelings or mood while there.
I drank a lot of soda. That was a treat for me as I try to limit that unless it is a "special occassion". Fun part was that soda was a lot cheaper than those grossly over-priced beers!
Eat what you want, drink any non-alcoholic beverage you want, dance, sing, have fun and wake up the next morning feeling great and celebrating your sobriety.
Old 10-28-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am the designated driver (self-appointed) and I'll be with one guy whose wife just left him and who likes to drink and one guy who rarely drinks. In the past when I went to shows by myself, I rarely drank b/c it was so damn expensive and I was afraid of a DUI. I think I am stressing myself out and it will be fine. I don't plan on getting the wristband.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I went to a concert early on and was worried about the triggers. I think planning before was what got me through, just like you're doing now. I thought out well in advance what I would say if offered drinks, really paid attention to urge surfing and thinking the whole thing through. Not just "I feel like a drink" but continuing the sentence on with a lot of "buts". "I feel like a drink but I don't feel like feeling like crap the next morning, or risking a dui, or spending money I don't have, or saying something stupid or..." I found during the actual music I wasn't even thinking about it, and enjoyed the concert more as I remembered every part of it and was able to focus on the entertainer. Have a good time and if you have a smart phone check in on SR if you find yourself getting weak...
Old 10-29-2012, 05:41 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
I went to a concert early on and was worried about the triggers. I think planning before was what got me through, just like you're doing now. I thought out well in advance what I would say if offered drinks, really paid attention to urge surfing and thinking the whole thing through.
Yes, I think not wearing the "over 21" bracelet is going to help and I can always call my wife if I have some urges. I think the time before the show will be worst but I am going to drink some soda pop and eat some chocolate and should be ready to go!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

IMO, Words like, "think and should" are like putting a 45 to your head and pulling the trigger because you think it is not loaded and I should have taken all the bullets out but I am not sure.

If you are positive you will not drink then have a good time. Otherwise......
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hey eumenides What show and where?
Old 10-29-2012, 09:20 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Titus Andronicus -- Crowbar --Ybor City
Old 10-29-2012, 08:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

So how was the concert? Did you go? Were you able to stay sober? Did you have fun? Hope so!
Old 10-29-2012, 09:50 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
as a sober contributor

Originally Posted by eumenides View Post
I am going to a concert tomorrow night and am a little worried since I won't be drinking. I am pretty sure I can handle it but was just wondering if anyone had any tips or strategies. I am not worried about the concert its the between acts and waiting for things to kick off when I usually drink.

Tips?
Go and have fun. Drink Water. Enjoy the show and the CRYSTAL clear memories you will have of the show.

I find that I can concentrate on the music and lightshow much better w/o alcohol. You can stay in your seat instead of running to the head or bar and you wont miss anything. You'll also save a bunch of $$$$$.

You can do it! I've been to 4 concerts since I stopped drinking and they were some of the most enjoyable shows I have ever seen.

Have a GREAT time!
Old 10-29-2012, 11:27 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm a big music fan and I've been going to clubs and just drinking water (iced tea when they have it!). It's definitely more enjoyable sober and really lets ya see in others what you [possibly] looked like while using, which for me was a reinforcement for Not drinking. If I'm feeling weak beforehand I bow out, and always give myself the option to leave if the desire gets too strong. I also make sure I tell whoever I'm with that those are my "rules." Pretty nice to remember the music, the conversations, and not have a hangover the next day!