Notices

How do you cope with and overcome loneliness?

Old 10-27-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How do you cope with and overcome loneliness?

I'm finding it difficult at the moment, particularly it being a saturday night and being stuck in!! :-)
I just find that lately I feel quite lonely and insular. I go to at least three meetings a week, I have started running and have good friends, but I have this vague sense of nagging loneliness, which has haunted me since childhood. I get a bit down thinking people are cuddled up and close (how bad does that sound?! I mean, I just wish I could feel close to people...)
Does it get any better or easier?
Old 10-27-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pickbup that phone and call people on the phone list! That is what I do when I am lonely.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

For me I go to meetings , meeting, and more meetings..

Thru the 16 months of this journey my network of friends is just amazing due to the others in AA. There is never a weekend with nothing to do and do it with other people going thru the same things.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Facebook, I have people who live in different time zones on my friends list. So if I happen to be awake at 4am because I can't sleep someone will be online and willing to talk to me. On the whole physical aspect of friendship I normally try to make new friends by trying new hobbies and going to different places than I would normally go to.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi bazerington I have had those feelings since I was a child & now I'm 44 & have over 17 months sober. It's frustrating sometimes too as in my work life I am very out going & social, I have to be, yet I feel very lonely & disconnected much of the time. I guess I do not have any good advice, just wanted you to know I understand.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since Jan 1, 2012

I go to meetings almost daily. I can really relate to how you are feeling. I had that feeling for a very long time. It went away with some sobriety under my belt. That and, I began to make friends by going to meetings more often. I hope things begin to feel better for you. You really have to get out there to make friends.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

Saturday night meeting and going out with a group of sober people afterwards! It helps!!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes lonelness is a big issue and insomnia for me I try to be of service i check out SR listen to music a lot did not know you were a music man Dee, very impressed. I write songs and stories in my head but don't write them down anymore. I had a book accepted for publication but after that my writing just froze.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't laugh, but my dogs and cats keep me from being lonely. They are always near me and their devotion is so heartfelt. I don't mind if I get visitors or not as my critters are always with me. Don't get me wrong, I have quite a few good friends, I just don't go out much.

How early are you in recovery? Emotions in early recovery can be very up and down. That gets better with time.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I go to meetings, make phone calls (believe me that's hard, but I'm learning it's really enjoyable talking to other people) and if there's nothing else available, I check in here on SR! The chat feature can be quite helpful.
Old 10-27-2012, 06:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Still I rise.

good question and something i am currently facing :/

i have found a few friends via online forums like this--political/social etc in nature. once you start posting, sometimes you can make a friend or two and exchange ***** IM's...it's nice to sit around and chit chat via the net...makes one feel not so alone in the world.