Notices

False memories?

Old 10-27-2012, 03:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
PL8

False memories?

Hi there!

Last week I decided to stop drinking, I was at a wedding on Saturday with a lot of free alcohol and I ended up blacking out for a chunk of it, ugh. I'm not a massively heavy drinker normally but I do have a drink most nights and definitely use it as a crutch, but most of all I can't stand myself when I'm drunk- I get really bolshy, bitchy and harsh which is so different to my sober self.

What I'm wondering is whether it is possible to develop false memories of things that happened during a blackout? Within a couple of days after the wedding a fair amount of my memory had returned, but on Thursday night when I was watching a tv programme a couple of phrases triggered this horrified feeling, that I've turned into 'memories' of outrageously inappropriate conversations with someone I shouldn't have talked to.

The reasons I think these might be false memories (apart from hope!) are that the memories don't 'feel' the same as the definite memories of other conversations and things that happened, and there was no fall-out, which I'm sure there would have been. Also, my husband said that when he noticed I was getting a bit silly he sat me down with water & coca cola, and he's pretty certain he caught me before I got really bad.

Whether was real or false it's terrified me enough anyway, but I'd love to hear if false memories are a real thing, and whether anyone else has experienced it.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi pl8

I know I always wished that what I feared had happened hadn't...
but I honestly can't think of too many times when I found out I'd made it up.

Likewise I had a lot of times when I was told I 'wasn't that bad', but I knew that wasn't right either

In the end whats done is done, I'm afraid.

I think the only real cure for morning after embarrassments is making sure we do the right thing the night before.

You'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 10-27-2012, 04:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
PL8

Thank you! It's just so strange, with my other memories of the night I can remember the conversations, but these memories are more like snapshots, kind of like my earliest childhood memories. As you say though it doesn't really matter, whatever happened happened- I just have quite an over active, obsessive brain so I've been thinking about that night non-stop for the whole week and I'm sick of it!

Thanks again, I'll have a good look around the site now, I'm sure it's going to be really helpful
Old 10-27-2012, 04:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

If you've never experienced that kind of 'snapshot', random flashes of memory thing before, thats pretty much textbook blacking out pl8...as I know it anyway.

It's not passing out....it's walking talking, eating....whatever...
but we're not 'there'.

D
Old 10-27-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't think I had false memorories just not memorories I was a big black out guy.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I use to have this happen every now and then. Years ago (way before I had any type of alcohol problem) my neighbor in California was a very heavy drinker and she asked me why I was ringing her door bell at 5 am holding hands with my little girl. This never happened, but my neighbor swore up and down that she remembered a little blip of it during a black out the night before. You may very well be doing the same thing. Once I developed a drinking problem, I would truly believe I had an embarrassing conversation that may or may not have taken place. I really don't know to this day. So glad I no longer drink and don't have to worry about those types of things.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My thing is rewatching movies I didn't remember I little bits would come back to me, scary. Have not blacked out in years now but still scarey.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
PL8

Thank you Soberween, I'm looking forward to not having to worry about these things too, the worry is so exhausting!