Notices

Need a little advice,help,info.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Need a little advice,help,info.

Tomorrow is 3 weeks sober from a 5 year 6-12 beer a day drinking habit (no drugs). They put me on librium, hated it after a week I stopped taking them.I am wondering how long this is anxiety, high blood pressure lasts. Been 2 AA meetings they are good and hooked up with a good guy to talk to. Any advice on n/a beer (yes/no)?
Old 10-26-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welocome!
my advise on NA beer is no. it does have a small amount ofalcohol in it and NA beer is for non alcoholics.

to me, it would be insane for me to think i could drink it.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No on the NA beer...I wouldn't recommend that...There are too many other things you can drink....I'm kind of getting into water lately. And welcome to SR!!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job on the meetings...Ask the guy you hooked up with about sponsorship...See what he knows about it.
Old 10-26-2012, 06:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by VK77 View Post
Tomorrow is 3 weeks sober from a 5 year 6-12 beer a day drinking habit (no drugs). They put me on librium, hated it after a week I stopped taking them.I am wondering how long this is anxiety, high blood pressure lasts. Been 2 AA meetings they are good and hooked up with a good guy to talk to. Any advice on n/a beer (yes/no)?
I would suggest seeing your doctor about the anxiety and high bp.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Problem with the N/A Beer is that it is very dangerous, particularly in the early stages of recovery. This is not only because of its very small alcohol content, but, rather because heavy drinking will condition the brain to associate the taste of beer with the buzz which comes from drinking the alcoholic variety. So, when your body tastes that beer, it's like an old race horse smelling the track. Then when the buzz doesn't arrive the brain subconsciously realizes that it's been tricked, becomes a very angry horse indeed at not getting a spin on the track and there is a very high risk that your hand will then reach out for something "stronger" and away you go down the slippery slope.
So I would suggest it's best to stay away from the N/A Beer and the N/A wine and also watch the cough medicines. Anything containing or associated with alcohol. It's all a matter of conditioning. One further example. I was dependent on my wife as a control to keep me from drinking. So, when my wife went on trips I often used that as a time to resume my old drinking habits. Then, when I entered recovery, and had been sober for about three months the time came when my wife went to visit relatives. I took her to the airport and after I left her I started to feel high as a kite, like the old days after three martinis! And I hadn't consumed one drop of alcohol. My brain had just lit me up with a big neon sign saying, "It's party time!" I was scared out of my wits and got myself to a meeting. It was in an Army Hospital and I remember walking through lots of empty wards looking for the meeting. After I told them my story I felt better and didn't drink. But I had been conditioned to drink when my wife was away and those neurotransmitters were sure firing away.

W.