Notices

Hi

Old 10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi

Well I haven't had a drink for 7 days now which isn't really a big deal for me because I actually don't drink all that often. My problem is that when I do drink I cannot stop until I've passed out most of the time.
I like to go out with friends who drink socially and often find myself not being able to even have one drink because I know that one drink will lead to 15 or 20 or even more sometimes.
Occasionally I can just have a few which is great but that takes very strict control measures such as making sure I will not have access to more alcohol after those few.
The last time I drank I got in my car and drove home. I cannot remember at all. I left my car parked in the middle of the street completely open with the lights on. I fell over in the bushes (and only know this because that's where I found my keys the next morning and I had leaves and twigs all through my hair and jumper).
I have no idea how I didn't kill anyone or myself.
I decided that it is probably best that I just don't drink at all anymore. I cannot risk putting people's lives in danger.
I think I will do ok but not sure. I have an active social life and I am scared that I will convince myself that I can just have a couple again.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It is good that you decided to stop, before something terrible happens, you are at the starting point, recognizing their is a problem! I am pretty new myself and wanted to stop before I got to the point of not remembering anything. I don't have alot of advice but to stay strong and hangout here, lots of resources and support...good luck!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR wish2bsober

Glad you have decided to quit. I found that I frequently try to convince myself that having a few is okay, or I don't really have a problem, or last time all that bad stuff happened because I didn't eat before I went out, not because I have a problem with alcohol, or some likely excuse... The trick is just to not listen and dismiss those thoughts. I found AVRT was really useful in helping me do this. Google the crash course or get the book Rational Recovery. It might be worth checking out.

Glad you're here x
Old 10-26-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR wish2besober

I think if we want to change our life we need to make changes

that can be hard - but there's a ton of support here...and a few ideas too

glad you've joined us

D