Notices

Left out but doing okay

Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Left out but doing okay

I have to say this because it's been wearing on my mind and I am sure many of you have gone through this.

Since getting sober, many people don't ask me to hang out anymore. I understand their thinking but sometimes I wish they would give me the chance to make a decison before completely excluding me. i have been asked by several people what I am doing for Halloween. I used to be invited to all the parties. I have not one invite this year. And the people that asked me told me where they were going and just left it at that. Why even bother, you know?

To top it off, I have been working late and on my day off (which is today) because I am trying to get ahead and feeling really productive -thank you sobriety However, I have had one co-worker today tell me "you need to get a life" and several others ask me why I am working late on a Friday. (All of whom KNOW I am in recovery). I have no family to go home to nor a boyfriend. If I want to work late why is that such a big deal?

I guess this is more of a vent and I really didn't care about spending weekends alone for now (besides meetings and some work with my sponser). After all of this today though I am just feeling kind of left out. Like a misfit haha I just wish people would be more sensitive sometimes
Old 10-26-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's all part of recovery I think, I have found in life, that in tough times, you find out who your friends are...sad but true!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Differences bother some people. But that's their personal problem.
Old 10-26-2012, 04:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

People just don't know how to handle former drinkers if they're still in party mode themselves. It's a shame, because people need their friends while dealing with recovery, but many can't be supportive because they're threatened by the change you're making. People at work probably don't want you to show them up. I think it improves over time as people get used to the "new you" so hang in there-you're doing great so far!