Notices

Good young mens (22y/o) programs around Kansas City

Old 10-26-2012, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Good young mens (22y/o) programs around Kansas City

I've looked at Valley Hope in Atchison and may do that, but I was wondering if there are any good programs in Kansas City for young men (NOT adolescents--I'm 22 and planning on staying that way lol).

I'd also really like to find one that makes getting and being physically healthy part of the treatment. I keep reading about people who went to rehab and all they did was sit around and talk about how addicted they are, gained 20 pounds, etc. I don't want to go to wallow... I want a nice gap where I can distance myself further from my addiction and be isolated from substances, but also where it's with guys my age and where there's some focus on character and being physically healthy; I feel like not poisoning yourself is taking away a negative, but I want to replace it with a positive and get back the old me that I and everyone else seems to want back.

I only want to go for a month or so.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You might try calling some places in your area and asking the questions you have. That way you would get the correct information.

I hope you find a place that works for you.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ypaa.info (Young People in AA) has a meetings list for different states. I don't see Kansas on there currently, but I'm sure you can contact someone there that can point you in the right direction.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I'm not really sure Stalln. I personally traveled across the country for rehab. Ended up in Minnesota at hazelden. A lot of where people choose to go to rehab depends on some financial factors. It's not cheap, to say the least. Insurance will cover a lot of it if you are currently covered. Maybe call them up and see what they recommend.

There is usually a substance abuse number on the back of your card.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I was always told, and believe. That when you fix your mind the body follows suit.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

YPAA is a good idea. I know they have it in my college town and I'm going to make it part of my aftercare (and social life ).

Cool to see you on the boards after my initial foray into the chat rooms, Fernace. I looked at Hazelden's young adult program, but the floor for their age range is very young (like 15--I was thinking like treatment for 18-25 year olds) and I'm not sure that I'd be very comfortable with a bunch of teenage Eminem lookalikes who are there at their parents forcing. [One review I read of that place said that's largely what comprises their clientele].

That'd be awesome to go wherever in the country would be best but with how resistant my parents are to this (despite the urging of my friends, pdoc, etc.), I fear that would be too conspicuous. Shame too--there are some great programs for 18-25/26 year olds that incorporate fitness/the outdoors, etc.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

You might end up having to create your own recovery program, by selecting what you like from various other programs. There are a lot of people who do that.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Stalln

I have no personal knowledge but this is a national database of treatment facilities - you could enter your location, see what comes up, &make a few calls

Substance Abuse Treatment Facility Locator

D
Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by stalln4x View Post
I've looked at Valley Hope in Atchison and may do that, but I was wondering if there are any good programs in Kansas City for young men (NOT adolescents--I'm 22 and planning on staying that way lol).

I'd also really like to find one that makes getting and being physically healthy part of the treatment. I keep reading about people who went to rehab and all they did was sit around and talk about how addicted they are, gained 20 pounds, etc. I don't want to go to wallow... I want a nice gap where I can distance myself further from my addiction and be isolated from substances, but also where it's with guys my age and where there's some focus on character and being physically healthy; I feel like not poisoning yourself is taking away a negative, but I want to replace it with a positive and get back the old me that I and everyone else seems to want back.

I only want to go for a month or so.
I live in the KC area and don't know of any place that is that specific. If you want to quit drinking and get healthy I think the first step is to quit drinking, however you do that.

It sounds like you'd like a resort sort of setting with herbal remedies, assuming money is not an issue, there are many options like that but none in the KC area.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tomorrow (saturday) I will be running the noon meeting at platte city. It is located at 230 main in platte city. See you there.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Stalln you are really lookin for an ADULT program...I know 22 seems young, but dude you have been a legal adult for 4 years ....I am 27 and every program I have breen thru starting at age 19 was an "adult" program.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Basically if you go the treatment route, you will be at either end of the spectrum. Oldest of the young or y
Old 10-26-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Trudger of Happy Destiny

Basically if you go the treatment route, you will be at either end of the spectrum. Oldest of the young or youngest of the old, lol. Dot worry tho there will usually be a couple people under 30. Age really doesn't matter. Us addicts are all children emotionally .
Old 10-26-2012, 01:00 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Red, I should have specified that I'm still in my college town right now and will be this weekend (I have to work concessions for the football game this Saturday :-/).

And fernaceman, I get what you're saying. I figured it'd be somewhere along those lines, although I did find a few programs where I'd be smack dab in the middle. I think I said in another thread that I'd feel weird in treatment with a bunch of teenagers.

I'll be honest--I'm kind of enjoying the attention I get at AA for being young hahaha. People that I've never talked to will mention something about when they were younger, or how it doesn't matter what age, or whatever and look over at me hehe.

I've also heard a lot of speakers at AA saying "Oh, if only I got sober when I was 23," etc. It really makes me want to commit to this, and I'd love to be able to look at someone in my shoes 10 years from now and be like "Yeah, I was drinking and using x, y, z, and I've been unimpaired ever since".

I think I prefer "unimpaired" to the word "sober".
Old 10-26-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Stalln - If you're in the college town I'm thinking of, I would think there would be a fairly large number of young people at the AA meetings there.

I've heard the Jaywalkers group is great there but never had a chance to get there to attend.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Err, I should also say that those that I'd be smack dab in the middle seem to be ones that incorporate fitness/wilderness/learning to be self-sufficient (hence 18 being their lower bound for age, and it seems like they go up to 25 or 26). Seems like those ones are 6+ months and pricy, and don't necessarily take insurance.

That's more time than I have.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:10 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'll tell you though - one of the best meetings I've ever been to was a group of women who were old enough to be my grandmothers. I walked in and thought, oh boy, this is going to suck. I was totally wrong.

You may be surprised at how much you have in common with some of the 'old' people.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:15 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
I'll tell you though - one of the best meetings I've ever been to was a group of women who were old enough to be my grandmothers. I walked in and thought, oh boy, this is going to suck. I was totally wrong.

You may be surprised at how much you have in common with some of the 'old' people.
Haha that's kind of cute actually. Did they pinch your cheeks? :p lol.

Part of what's been so surreal about all this is hearing my story from people of all races, genders, creeds, sexual orientations, disabilities, etc. It's just surreal seeing healthy, happy adults saying "Yeah, I did heroin and got locked up," etc.

EDIT: and I do think I have a lot in common with the older people in recovery and a couple have said that seeing younger people coming in helps give them hope, which is kinda cool
Old 10-26-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Oh wow...

Just went back and saw all the other replies. Thanks for your helpful input and resources, all of you. I'm almost overwhelmed by how much response there is on this forum!

Checking out that database of treatment centers now.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:33 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

stallin, iffen ya ever make it this way, i can introduce you to many people in AA in their 30's through 60's who were in their 20's when they got sober.