Notices

Anyone been to Valley Hope?

Old 10-25-2012, 09:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Anyone been to Valley Hope?

Someone from AA got me to tour Valley Hope once and I'm thinking I'll go there but how is it when you're actually there? I also know that when I was in a psych hospital over K2 once that one of the guys there got discharged to Valley Hope so I've heard that "brand before". Can't find where I found it, but it was only getting 3/5 on most review sites but it's the only rehab I've seen and I don't know what to look for or if I'm even in a position to be shopping around.

I feel like I'd benefit hugely from a young men's thing (I'm 22) as long as it's not me and a bunch of 15 year olds lol, but my parents are fighting me going to rehab at all, let alone me pick something out of the way. I just also know I need a physical, holistic kind of rehab I think... the last thing I need is a 30 day vacation where I just get out of shape, weak, and lazy(er).
Old 10-25-2012, 10:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maybe contact them and have them put you in contact with their "alumni"?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I went to Valley Hope. They had the nicest staff I had ever met. They really try and help you out as opposed to some other facilities. They weren't as strict and I needed the strict thing, super nice place though, Idk... I liked that we could watch tv all the time lol
Old 10-26-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

About every other month I speak at the valley hope in Atchison Kansas. Great place. Most people there are in their thirties.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's the exact one I went to tour. Maybe I'll see you there if I go! I'm not sure about everyone being in their 30s... I feel like I'd benefit most from a single gender young adult program that incorporates physical fitness--the last thing I need is a 30 day vacation to get off drugs but in bad physical shape.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I went to valley hope twice..once in my twenties..and once in my thirties. I am now 41..and on day 10 of no drinking..if that tells you anything. In my opinion...based on my experience, I think a combination of AA and taking advantage of all that SR has to offer is a better option. This will keep you in the grips of reality instead of going through shellshock when you exit the safe haven of a rehab center. Rehab should be last resort..if anything..just go to detox.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I'm alumni of Valley Hope in Atchison, KS. It was exactly what I needed.

Don't worry about the reviews - if you're ready to get sober than any rehab will help.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ok... thanks for your sobering input (pun intended), noquickfix. I don't think I need acute detox per se as my drinking hasn't been that extreme and I'm a few days clean of sleeping pills, a week clean of k2. That's really the drug that most turned me into an animal has been these designer cannibinoids.

I still feel like a rather drastic departure, long enough to help me loosen my cling on my addiction, would be what would help me most. It's internalizing "never" that's the problem and I've tried AA before, but yeah...
Old 10-26-2012, 01:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stalln4x View Post
I still feel like a rather drastic departure, long enough to help me loosen my cling on my addiction, would be what would help me most. It's internalizing "never" that's the problem and I've tried AA before, but yeah...
Drastic departure?
Old 10-26-2012, 01:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Originally Posted by choublak View Post
Drastic departure?
I used to have dreams of changing my name and moving to the Florida Keys.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Choublox,

By drastic departure I just mean walking away from my life right now and just getting away from it all.***

There was a guy in one of the last AA meetings I went to in Kansas City who was moving to Panama soon. Not to put more ideas in your head, Paperdolls .

***EDIT: in an inpatient setting I mean. Not like fleeing to the Bahamas hehe.
Old 09-23-2014, 09:25 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PaperDolls View Post
I used to have dreams of changing my name and moving to the Florida Keys.
I have the EXACT same dream.