Notices

Am TYPE "A" and TAPPED OUT!

Old 10-25-2012, 04:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Am TYPE "A" and TAPPED OUT!

I have been sitting here today..doing alot of thinking about the past. (I happen to be a pro at this..haha). It has come to ..my attention..that my TYPE A/CONTROL FREAK personality and all the traits that go along with it...has played A BIG PART in the damage done to family and friends both in the past and present. Not to mention the toll it takes on the health. I was somewhat aware that I had this personality type but I didnt realize to what extent. It is not all bad but it drains alot of unnecessary energy! Am grateful for the much needed insight and will start working on it though it wont be easy! This explains why I struggled for 24 years with the concept of "LET GO..LET GOD." Do most alcoholics tend to have TYPE A..and the obsession with control thing going on???..
Old 10-25-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Oh absolutely! I so relate to your post. For me, I was a control-freak for years, long before I began drinking. But, being a control-freak is exhausting work, and as my kids became teenagers, my control was slipping rapidly. I truly felt that I had to hold on to everything and everyone in my life with both hands and never let go. What would happen if I let go for a moment - I was sure my life would fall apart. And, actually it did when my drinking took over. I know it stemmed from a 'war zone' environment that I grew up in. My life was total chaos and so I fought back as a control-freak.

So, stopping drinking meant letting go of my controlling ways. And what an amazing relief it was. The world continued to turn and life went on, as usual. I embraced Let go, let god and it was a complete change for me. I wish I had known what harm I was doing to myself, so I could have changed before I began drinking, but such was the lesson I needed to learn.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for the uplift..it hit home with my kids getting older.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not sure how widespread it is, but I was a control freak too - I found it very difficult to trust other people to do their job 'properly' and to let go and wind down.

One of the paradoxes of my drinking was even tho I lost control I was actually trying to control my environment, get rid of bad feelings, have fun, be happy....

it's good to lay that burden down...like Anna says the world keeps turning even without me there to spin it

D
Old 10-25-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am type A to the max....my way or the highway at work....i think i have relaxed quite a bit and i am much more even tempered, or just gave up fighting.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm an alcoholic, but not a control freak. There are plenty of control freaks who aren't alcoholics and visa versa.

I did have an alcoholic boss who was a control freak, however. It was hell on wheels. She made herself miserable, along with everyone around her. It manifested as a twisted countenance, twitching at the mouth, furrowed eyebrows, and an icy, glaring, accusative stare. It used to give me (and at least one other person) nightmares.
Old 10-25-2012, 05:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Type A here. I get irritated when people try to do it their way instead of mine too.

I am working on it though
Old 10-25-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Absolutely, Anna could've written my post.

Since, I've stopped trying so hard to stop trying so hard, life is so much freer.

I love you signature line! That's one of my favorite scriptures. Rom 12:12