Notices

Looking for information

Old 10-25-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Looking for information

Hello, I don't exactly fit in with this group but I found so much information here that I wanted to post. Three years ago I developed neuropathy with severe pain. Since that time, I have been taking MS Contin (time-release morphine) and Dilaudid daily. I started at 30 mg morphine and 8 mg Dilaudid a day; now I take 15 mg morphine and no Dilaudid. I want to stop taking this medication, as I don't think the pain is there anymore. But when I tried to stop taking the morphine, I was so tired and unmotivated I couldn't function. It was like the life energy was zapped out of me. I also had diarrhea, but none of the other withdrawal symptoms usually described. I lasted 3 1/2 days, and then I had to take the morphine again. Also, I have been diabetic for 35 years, and when I stopped the morphine my blood sugar went way way up--high enough to kill me. I could not get it under control (I use an insulin pump)

I have not taken Dilaudid for a week, and I'm having the lack of energy/motivation problem again, but not as bad. My questions are:

1- Has anyone else experienced this kind of withdrawal--being so tired and utterly void of energy? I don't understand why this withdrawal is so different from what I've read about--I think I'd have an easier time with vomiting and chills, etc. I did not have any "cravings" during withdrawal.

2- Why would an opiate like Dilaudid make me feel speedy? (It didn't do that at first, which is why I don't think I need it anymore. Meaning when the pain was bad I didn't feel "high" and now I do/did)

3-I am going to talk to my doctor Monday about trying suboxone. Is this a medication I can get off of, or is it like methadone? I am hoping I can take it for one week and then go off of it.

Thank you for reading this and I appreciate any feedback from people who know about these issues.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jet welcome, I think you do fit into this site. If you scroll through the forums here you'll one titled substance abuse. You're far from the first person who has gotten into trouble with prescription meds. What did your Dr say about the blood sugar level?
Old 10-25-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He wants me to just keep taking the meds!
Old 10-25-2012, 11:04 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Also, I don't fit into the category of "substance abuse", but rather "dependence". I have always taken my medications as prescribed and did not get high from them; I just got pain relief, which I desperately needed.
Old 10-25-2012, 11:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

As you said, you no longer have pain, so there is no need for the medication. So, ask your dr about a plan to get off the medication and move on with your life. Hopefully your dr can advise you about suboxone.
Old 10-25-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Welcome JetJensen!

Glad you've joined us! Getting off any kind of drug is difficult. You might want to consider talking to a doctor who specializes in addiction and deals with this kind of thing all the time.

Like everyone's already said, things tend to get worse, never better. It's a relief to leave dependency behind..... You'll find lots of support here if you need it!
Old 10-25-2012, 02:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Support, yes. Thank you. But so far no answers to my questions.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep in mind we can't give you medical advice here Jet. It's against our rules.

We can share our experience here to a point, but questions about 'why does something do this' and 'should I try that' generally fall under medical advice.

If you're seeking those members with specific experiences you may be better off delving into other forums

Substance Abuse - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Suboxone/Methadone Maintenance or Detox - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

D
Old 10-25-2012, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you read the disclaimers, it clearly states that no one is able to offer you medical advice. i everyone is different, there are so many variables, you cannot compare your response with someone elses....so ask your doc a lot of questions you asked here.

hope you feel better soon and have less pain.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:55 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

((JetJensen)) - Though there are several people here who are in the medical profession, we don't offer medical advice. As ((Fandy)) said - no two people are alike and it would be irresponsible of us.

That being said, I can tell you my stepmom is addicted to opiates and they make her VERY energetic and she talks nonstop. I abused opiates at one time, and depending on what and how much I was either just like her or zonked out. FWIW, my stepmom began them for legit pain and even when she wasn't abusing them, they did the same thing.

Whether you are dependent or an addict, your body has become dependent on the medication. If your doctor isn't willing to work with you at getting off the medication, you may want to get a second opinion?

Hugs and prayers,

Amy