Notices

I don't know if I need help... Am I an alcoholic?

Old 10-25-2012, 11:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

You are 25, and you can't go a day without drinking.
You hope that you will be able to quit for a while and then drink occasionally?

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but you probably have a better chance of becoming an astronaut than this being a successful plan.

I was sober for a year at 25. Thought I'd see if I could handle drinking a little here and there.
Im now back in recovery. I drank a little, here and there and everywhere, everyday, except during the times I tried to quit.
Lost relationships, almost got divorced, countless fights (verbal AND physical), got arrested, wrecked jobs, did drugs Id never tried before until I was addicted, made countless mistakes with my children, etc.

And its been 17 years. I wish I was 25 again.
If you can live without alcohol now, your life can be great. Alcohol is not a friend. Its a life ruiner disguised as a seductive lover.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

hi and welcome, im 28 and mum to two aswell. I realised I had a problem when I had to have wine everyday!!! Because I felt I needed it to relax. Ive been drinking EVERY day for a year, and always woke up feeling guilty! That you are here and thinking about that you MIGHT have a problem, isnt that a sign? Do you feel guilty?. I was the same, when I was all alone home I was like "oh no kids, now i can have a nice glass of wine".. But now ive found other way to relax, still working on it, and for first time in a year, I have coped not drinking for 5 days!!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:56 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I'm also mum and drank wine every day.You are very young and,as others say it will only get worse. you say you don't get a buzz-you must get something though or wouldn't do it.the problem is you'll soon need more and more to get the same effect. Its a dangerous game with children too-it does affect our abilities to parent effectively,no matter how much we try and pretend and convince ourselves it doesn't. It just gets worse and worse,to the point people have their children taken off them.you are so young and know you have a problem,otherwise you wouldn't be here. i hope you stick around,it'sa great site with loads of support to help you quit.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

There is a book called Alcoholics Anonymous that describes alcoholism.

In one chapter, The Doctor's Opinion, Dr. Silkworth talks about the sense of ease and comfort that comes from drinking.

He talks about being restless, irritable and discontent until we can drink again.

I understand the feeling of needing beer. I get that. I was that Mother. I needed beer to cope with my day. My tasks. I needed something to make me feel better.

The amount has nothing to do with it.

Can you stay stopped when you said you would? No

This is powerless over alcohol.

Step One of the AA program.

I would suggest that you read this book from beginning to end. Find out if you are an alcoholic using this book.

If you need help, pm me.

Big Book On Line
Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.

Last edited by Dee74; 10-26-2012 at 05:20 AM. Reason: please remember required copyright disclaimer for AA links
Old 10-26-2012, 03:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I was in your shoes about 4 years ago. It got really bad really fast. I am not here to tell yo how to live your life, but you may want to consider the fact that you are not fit to drink. I may have stopped back then if I found this site, because I had the same thoughts as you. Well I am just going to quit for so so days, then after 10 or so days I'd be like ahh I got this I am not an alcoholic. I am also about to be 25.

I know it is a very tough decision because you haven't experienced the worse parts of alcoholism, and it sounds like you know it is becoming a problem but you are still trying to defend your drinking. Deduced from everything you have said... you better prepare yourself for some of the worst years of your life.

Or, please stick with us and get clean!
Old 10-26-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I have found that I rarely asked questions I didn't know the answer to.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

[QUOTE=wrldhealer;3642443]I already know that I could not go a day without beer..lol
Even if I was broke or had the kids with me, I would end up scraping up enough change for a 6 pack of Milwaukee's Best...along with the children with me"

Um.... DING DING DING DING!!!! I was right there about a year ago, then it got worse. Stop the daily drinking for your kiddos!
Old 10-26-2012, 09:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I am glad you are suspicious of a problem. I didn't have a clue I had a problem until so much destruction had been done. It definately sounds like the beginning stages of alcoholism. I am just trying to be honest. It will only get worse if you continue & if you can find it in yourself to stop now, you will be light years ahead of some.

Best of luck to you...I will be thinking of you.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

now ive found other way to relax, still working on it, and for first time in a year, I have coped not drinking for 5 days!![/QUOTE]

Congratulations on five days! I am on 15"0' hoping at some point I am not counting day by day, but not there yet.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Do your best

Rebumped thread for inspiration from 2012
Old 05-20-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I've steadily drank a 6pk of tall boys (16oz), every evening for the past 3 years...unless i was off work, then I'd start at noon and usually down two 6pks.
Monday was the last straw. I got so bad Sunday night and realized it the next morning.
I had nothing on Monday night, and boy was it hard. Took me almost 4 hours to fall asleep. The panic attacks and anxiety were unbearable.

Went to the doctor yesterday and wasgiven Trazodone. What a miracle! I went right to sleep last night.
I woke up feeling NORMAL.
Not sick, thirsty, shaky, no stomach cramps, no bathroom issues, and actually had a clear head.
I'm really hoping my will power stays strong thru today. ell, it's been three years since I've been on this site, and i can finally answer my original question... Yes, I'm most definitely an alcoholic.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I can really relate to your reply Delilhah1, managing but the drink becoming more and more of a priority and for sure my parenting has been less patient on many occasions due to the need for a drink, shopping for a drink, buying more, hiding the evidence or nursing a god awful hangover. My lovely daughter deserved better.
Old 05-20-2015, 09:09 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wrldhealer View Post
I've steadily drank a 6pk of tall boys (16oz), every evening for the past 3 years...unless i was off work, then I'd start at noon and usually down two 6pks.
Monday was the last straw. I got so bad Sunday night and realized it the next morning.
I had nothing on Monday night, and boy was it hard. Took me almost 4 hours to fall asleep. The panic attacks and anxiety were unbearable.

Went to the doctor yesterday and wasgiven Trazodone. What a miracle! I went right to sleep last night.
I woke up feeling NORMAL.
Not sick, thirsty, shaky, no stomach cramps, no bathroom issues, and actually had a clear head.
I'm really hoping my will power stays strong thru today. ell, it's been three years since I've been on this site, and i can finally answer my original question... Yes, I'm most definitely an alcoholic.
Welcome back, wrldhealer. to SR. So glad you came back and are choosing sobriety. It is an exponentially better way.

Acknowledging your alcoholism is a major step; congratulations, truly. Accepting that moderation would not work and that abstinence was my only choice was also key to my recovery.

Have you considered making a plan for sobriety?
Old 05-20-2015, 09:21 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Welcome back to SR, wrldhealer!
Old 05-20-2015, 10:13 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Oh, I can so relate.

I will be sober 3 years in just 2.5 weeks. I am only 28. I quit when I was your age. Don't think about "the rest of your life" just think about now. Your child/ren needs you! I had with an alcoholic father, and trust me, you don't want your child to see you like that.

Great job for not drinking! You can do this. It does get easier!
Old 05-20-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Hi, I am in the same position and have been on and off here over the past couple years, always wondering if I am really an" alcoholic".
The wise people here on SR have pointed out the same thing to me as to you - it doesn't really matter if you are an "alcoholic", if you think there is a problem there is probably a problem.

I had strung together some sober days a while back but have been drinking regularly again for some time, like you just a few beers at night but EVERY night! Not good!

I have been using what they call "urge surfing" and mindfulness to get past the feeling that I HAVE to have a beer and have successfully cut back from 4-5 to 2-3 so far, and am planning to continue practicing this until I am at 0! If I can do it, you can too.

There is lots of good information and nice people here, keep checking it out I bet it will help.