Notices

New/old addiction?

Old 10-24-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New/old addiction?

Hey guys,

So I am on day 19 of my sobriety and although I sometimes still feel a bit white-knuckle-ish I am hanging in there, and really thoroughly enjoying my peaceful, healthy mornings when I get up before everyone else and the house is all quiet...and I don't feel sick or panicky.

Well, so 9 months ago I quit smoking. I was drinking at the time and I figured I had to let one of them go, so I chose to ditch the butts. After about the first couple months I really settled into that quit and rarely even thought of smoking anymore. This monday I had that tight chested feeling that I used to get when I craved nicotine (it can be kinda similar feeling to the urge to drink too so I probably just wanted a glass of wine?) it was soooo bad that I went to the store and bought a pack and smoked the whole dang thing down in just over two days.

UGH! I guess I am just venting here. I smoked the last of the pack at 1 p.m. today, and am struggling not to throw on my shoes and run out for more...ANyone else have experience with quitting drinking/smoking issues? Looking for a little advice if any is out there, thanks!!!!

Anne
Old 10-24-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

p.s. the addict in me is telling me that starting smoking again will help with my sobriety. Amazing.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dismember

I know what you're going through. My favorite post quitting (smoking) thing that I seem to do every time I quit is end up going through my vehicles, my clothes, the house, etc, trying to find cigs I have lost or misplaced, giving myself permission to smoke them if I find any. Thank god I haven't found any this quit

Just keep trying. I quit both smoking and drinking on the 8th of October and by far I miss cigs the most.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

i know what you mean.... i can't really help - i only had 17 days sober & it definitely made me want to go back to smoking :/ & would have if i hadn't developed asthma
Old 10-25-2012, 04:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by qwerrt View Post
p.s. the addict in me is telling me that starting smoking again will help with my sobriety. Amazing.
Sounds like you have this awareness of who is saying what to you down cold. Recognizing that addiction voice when I hear it is a huge part of the battle for me. Along with that recognition comes the absolute certainty that I don't need or want to do what it tells me to do anymore. And that choice is mine.

Onward!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not Alone

I have put off giving up smoking because my mind is telling me I am allowed to have this one vice, this one addiction. Whenever I turn upto meetings there are always those people who cane caffiene and nicotine. I am one of those people. I'm going to get some nicotine replacement stuff from the doctor next week and make a real go of quitting.
Old 10-25-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Nicotine/Smoking - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 10-25-2012, 09:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Natom View Post
I have put off giving up smoking because my mind is telling me I am allowed to have this one vice, this one addiction. Whenever I turn upto meetings there are always those people who cane caffiene and nicotine. I am one of those people. I'm going to get some nicotine replacement stuff from the doctor next week and make a real go of quitting.
THIS. I barely even drink any caffeine anymore. I keep telling myself I just need one vice. Plus it will help me lose weight!

Ugh. Trying to tell that voice to shut up is hard.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Originally Posted by qwerrt View Post
Ugh. Trying to tell that voice to shut up is hard.
I knew from the beginning that I was awful at battling temptation, so I don't do that now. I just accept that I will feel like that sometimes, and let the urge be alone, all by itself. It gets bored after a while and wanders off.