Notices

Will All of Us Become Addicted to Something Else?

Old 10-24-2012, 04:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Will All of Us Become Addicted to Something Else?

I'm four and a half months sober and I think I have replaced my drinking addiction with a work and gym addiction. I know these are much healthier addictions but I am just wondering if anyone recovering finds they can function without any addiction (something they absolutely need to function) It seems like some even can become addicted/obsessed with recovery itself. Do we ever become 'normal' about anything in our life again?
Old 10-24-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel like you, I have to replace my drinking with work and gym now too, I think its to keep my mind of the drinking, maybe its just a way for people to deal with it, its a good question tho, does everyone who stop get obsessed with something else? maybe its part of our personalities too that when we start something its hrd to get off it, i don't know
Old 10-24-2012, 04:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have wondered the same thing..
Old 10-24-2012, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've always been somewhat obsessional.
I think there are obsessions that deplete us and others that add to us, tho.

I try to focus on the latter now...and being aware of my tendency to obsess I *always* try and keep myself grounded with a good sense of balance.

I'm not perfect but who is?
I'm light years away from the guy I used to be.

There are bands I love, TV shows I really enjoy and foods I can't live without - but I really wouldn't describe myself as addicted today

D
Old 10-24-2012, 05:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I need to replace mine with exercise! I play words with friends incesantly.

I think we are compulsive people that will always have to strive for balance.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
I hope I'll be able to replace addiction with devotion and passion for someting I'd really love to do. I became passioned for exercising way before I got addicted to wine, and gym is just part of my routine life, not another addiction.

Addiction comes from fears, boredom, unhappines and other negatives staff, while passion comes from something we love. For sure, it is easier said than done. But I still hope)
Old 10-24-2012, 05:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

For me I love anything that makes me feel good !!!!

Thats why I drank and used for decades. I can replace them with things that not only make me feel good, but make me availble to help others feel good.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

For me the answer is no. Life is balanced, normal, average, and pretty low key when I'm not drinking. Maybe that's cause I'm old and tired.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:58 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Switching addictions isn't universal but I think it is pretty common. I got very into exercise too, but then backed off to a normal level after a while. I can't say I regret that!
Old 10-24-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Great question. Alcoholics are not noted for balance in thier lives. I think the best we can do is recognize habits that are becoming obssesive and try to modify our behavior. The big differance it that being sober allows us to see excessive behavior a lot easier
Old 10-24-2012, 07:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by effortjoy View Post
I am just wondering if anyone recovering finds they can function without any addiction (something they absolutely need to function) It seems like some even can become addicted/obsessed with recovery itself. Do we ever become 'normal' about anything in our life again?
Sure you can. It's just about balance. If you know what it is like to lose control to alcohol and the havoc it wreaks in your life, you'll know how to counter those same effects with other activities.

If you find you are enjoying the activity and it is making you a better person, more in line with reality, it's probably not a harmful addiction.

If it is an activity causing detriment to yourself or inter-personal relations, probably not a good addiction.

I don't know if that makes any sense?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

One thing I heard in one of my less successful rehabs was, "If you have to lie about it. It is an addiction." That always stuck with me and is a good yard stick to measure by.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Elisabeth888 said it best: "I think we are compulsive people that will always have to strive for balance." I have around 1,000 books in my personal library. Since I recently moved, they are all still in boxes. Once I get them unpacked, I plan on organizing them by color...sorta like this: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3600/3...d58967fd26.jpg. Seems crazy but I think it will be a lofty goal for me to accomplish...something I CANNOT even fathom trying to tackle drunk!
Old 10-24-2012, 09:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Hexipuff

I have swapped my obsession with alcohol for my obsession with living my life in a more fulfilling way.

Oh I am also a bit obsessed with hot chocolate, Facebook, Harry Potter, 50 Shades of Grey, having a happy sober Christmas, dog walking, swimming, knitting, zentangling (as posh word for doodling) - but I guess these are all part of living my life.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:40 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Not Alone

We all have an obsession to use something, or fill the hole in our lives. It just depends on what we fill it with. I think if it is a healthy obsession like the gym, or I dunno motorbikes then it is obviously much better than prostitutes or gambling.
Old 10-24-2012, 05:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Great question, I don't think so. I know I'm already replacing my addiction to drugs/alcohol with other things and now obsessing over them. I seriously doubt there is any lasting cure for those with addictive personality's
Old 10-24-2012, 05:55 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I became one of those apocalypse survival preppers lol. My family was like...do you really think something big is going to occur? I told them "im preparing for disaster instead of being a drunk *******, do you really wanna question my motives?"
Old 10-24-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trikuza View Post
I became one of those apocalypse survival preppers lol. My family was like...do you really think something big is going to occur? I told them "im preparing for disaster instead of being a drunk *******, do you really wanna question my motives?"
Ha ha ha ha!!!! I love it!
Old 10-24-2012, 07:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MIRecovery View Post
One thing I heard in one of my less successful rehabs was, "If you have to lie about it. It is an addiction." That always stuck with me and is a good yard stick to measure by.
Ohh, I like that one. Great rule of thumb!
Old 10-24-2012, 08:16 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

If we keep doing it even though it is hurting us and we know we shouldn't, it's an addiction. If we do it to the extent that it replaces normal human interaction, then it's an obsession.

No, I don't believe that we are doomed to be either addicted or obsessed. 'Moderation in all things'.