Notices

Will All of Us Become Addicted to Something Else?

Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

normal???
i have to keep myself in check and look at my motives. if i am doin something that is being done in a way to be mind or mood altering, to help me feel better about myself, then it is something i am doing in an addictive nature and not good for me.
Old 10-24-2012, 08:44 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I have definitely increased the exercise, and have signed up for a few races. I am reading nightly, and I am much more present while spending time with my kids. I am starting to think I may be addicted to SR!! I have been on here so darn much.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Oh yes! I became addicted to dogs. Cf. Caroline Knapp's "Pack of Two". I've noticed that some of the old timers seem to be very overweight. This may indicate a food addiction. Others, as you say, seem to be "experts" at recovery itself, entering into vigorous disputes about the "best" or even the "only" way to recover. I'll bet there are horse addicts, cat addicts, and of course plenty of smokers. Lots of coffee drinkers. Some seem addicted to sleep and become compulsive about not being able to get enough of that. Then there are of course the joggers and work out buffs at gyms. There are collectors and connoisseurs, some of whom collect "woodies" (1930's style wooden station wagons) and go to "woodie" shows. When I was a kid I collected match book covers. Another guy collected rubber bands and built up a ball of them five feet thick. They tried to auction it off but there were no bids. Take your pick. Just don't drink.

W.
Old 10-24-2012, 09:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i'm just finding that i want to spend my old drinking time doing other things. i think it's easy for us to get hyper focused on just 1 thing in the beginning and i think that's ok for a bit as a coping mechanism. just as long as it doesn't become something that interferes negatively with your life. i'm turning to the gym now as well but i'm also getting back into cooking and reading and such. really, as long as it's not having a negative impact on your life, i say don't worry about it. we're really good at over analyzing things sometimes.
Old 10-25-2012, 02:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've kind of given myself permission to be lazy for awhile! True, I have stepped up my working out but in my case I went from couch potato to going for long walks three or four times a week. The sleet and rain are putting a damper on that a bit now.

School just got out for the term and I'm taking a week of paid vaca! I'm not gonna be addicted to anything but BBQ'ing and surfing the net!
Old 10-25-2012, 04:11 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm addicted to being clean and sober! I don't want to ever quit!