Notices

How To Stay In Today?

Old 10-24-2012, 12:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How To Stay In Today?

Just wondering how you guys and gals Stop worrying beyond today...? I'm finding it kinda tough. Want to come out of this funk and having trouble staying with "today." Yesterday is stirring up a lot of emotions.... I have "hope" for the future but I want it NOW.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

It is a hard thing to do. We all project into the future about different things. It is not a bad thing to dream about stuff. But it is bad to obsess about stuff that is a long way away. I normally start my day with a prayer just said in my head where I ask to be reminded I am only clean today. And that today is all I can do at the moment. Then in the evening I sign off with a thanks for keeping me clean.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

You have the most important step- awareness. Working on maintaining awareness is how you do it. None of us can control the thoughts that 'pop up' no matter how annoying, trivial, scary or irrational they may be.

The daily practice of gratitude (whilst not directly related to your post) really helped to centre me in today and what is good- rather than my natural tendency to focus exclusively on the annoying
Old 10-24-2012, 01:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hmm well I write a lot in a journal to move worry to paper and out of my head, take quiet time each morning and evening to either pray or meditate or both, focus on my breathing when I am in quiet time and let the thoughts come and go and not attach to them.

It takes a while to get used to and heck knows I still have obsessive and compulsive thinking about stuff but I can slow it down and see a lot of it may simply be untrue.

One thing I accepted is that I did not get here overnight and so the treatment and way toward peace will take a while. It won't happen now but it will in time as I see it in my old timer friends.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The only thing I can do is practice this. My natural tendency is to regret yesterday, and fret about tomorrow. But as Instant said, you now have awareness. So like anything else we need to change in sobriety, it takes practice
I will often look at my feet, ask where are my feet right now? Then get my mind in the same place. Silly exercise but sometimes I have to get that basic.
Old 10-24-2012, 03:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was always thinking about next week, next year, where I should be...or else I was worry about the stuff I'd already done....

I had to learn yesterday is gone and tomorrow's not yet here...

do what you can to make amends, or make preparatory plans...and then let go...

Expending undue energy on things that have already happened or those that haven't happened yet is a waste...it's energy we can use far more wisely on the day we can do something about

There's a quote 'For peace of mind, resign as general manager of the universe.'
I had to let go of things that simply aren't in my control to worry about...

I had to learn a little faith that it would all turn out, and a little patience too.
It wasn't easy...it's a process rather than a overnight change...but you can do it 427

D
Old 10-24-2012, 03:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really like that quote. I will stop managing the universe today!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

427-I too battle with regrets of the past that stir up old emotions. For me writing them down as I feel them helps alot.

Worrying about the future...this is a tough one for me also. Usually when I know a situation or event is coming up...I (mentally)blow the outcome of it way out of proportion long before it happens. When it finally arrives it usually turns out better then I had expected.

What helps me combat my "futuristic" thinkings are sayings that my sponsor has pounded into my mind on a daily basis..."Stay in the moment"and "One day at a time". Now when when I start worrying about tommorow, those sayings pop up and remind me that tommorow is another day, deal with todays issues.

Hang in there!
Old 10-24-2012, 03:45 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I too struggle w the past & for the first 2 weeks I had major issues w projecting into the future. Now I let myself sit with my fears of the past and or future for just 10 minutes. Then i make myself get back to the present. All I have is this moment anyway, no use causing more anxiety. I hope that helps.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks. You guys have been helpful. My "friend" called me today and wanted to know if I had a cell phone yet and a job.... Yanno..., I don't feel ready to look for a job yet - don't feel stable enough. Yeah, gotta breathe, feel my feet on the ground, stay focused on today, and quit trying to manage the universe!! Good advice!