Notices

Questions concerning strange physical feelings...

Old 10-23-2012, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Questions concerning strange physical feelings...

Hi all-
I am at day 26without alcohol and I have a few questions -
Every day about this time, which is noon, I get this strange dizzy feeling and I start to get the shakes. It gets pretty intense to the point where I get very lightheaded and I feel weak.
I usually just have coffee in the morning but do not eat anything.
The sensation is happening right now, I felt I had to sit down so I thought I would start a thread.
If there is an existing thread I apologize but can anyone offer insight on this?
I have posted else where that my appetite has increased and so has my craving for sugar, could this be from low blood sugar?

Thanks in advance...

D.D.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

you really should see an md regarding these physical problems. i can relate to similar things but you need to get checked out. don't take any chances with your health. see a doctor and have some blood drawn. it may answer all yhour questions
Old 10-23-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Only a doctor could say for sure. However, maybe your body requires breakfast now that it's getting used to your new lifestyle?

I used to never have breakfast either just cofee and cigarettes. Now that I don't drink or smoke, I need breakfast bad or I feel like crap
Old 10-23-2012, 10:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Phoenix.

On sugar cravings..
I started craving sugar when I quit booze..(i had previously only craved fatty/salty things) And have heard places that because of the sugar in the booze, my body was used to it, and that's why I craved it.

I am neither a doctor nor a scientist. So.
Dizziness is nothing to scoff at. See a doctor for sure.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Your body requires nutrition in the morning. Eat a healthy breakfast.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Thanks everyone...
It's been a half hour and I still feel week and shaky.
I'm going to lay off the coffee tomorrow and eat something and see how that helps.
I agree I should get a blood test also. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime if anyone had had this experience and had done something that they found helped let us know, thanks alot!

D.D.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

sounds like a drop in your blood sugar...eat breakfast?

I work with medical students...they pass out all the time in the OR, it's very embarassing for them, one gave herself a good thump on the head and cracked her elbow, (vaso vagal response)..EAT breakfast, even a protein bar and a small juice or milk, fruit, etc.

but do get it checked if it continues.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
sounds like a drop in your blood sugar...eat breakfast?

I work with medical students...they pass out all the time in the OR, it's very embarassing for them, one gave herself a good thump on the head and cracked her elbow, (vaso vagal response)..EAT breakfast, even a protein bar and a small juice or milk, fruit, etc.

but do get it checked if it continues.
Thanks!
It does seem to make sense that the heavy drinking kept my blood sugar at a high (no pun intended) level, and now that my body is completely clean it is reacting to that lack of sugar?
Old 10-23-2012, 10:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

when I first stopped drinking, I found myself chomping down an entire large cadbury bar before bed...and the cookies would be stockpiled...i was eating like 6-8 every night.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Dan Dare. I agree with everything that was mentioned before: your body needs good healthy breakfast and proper medical examination. I would just add that, two or three days after I quitted boozed I felt very lightheaded, even though I always have a good breakfast. I checked by blood pressure and it was unusually low, and it caused weakness. So, go to doctor ASAP.

Take care.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

When I was drinking I barely ate. Now I make sure to eat, almost every day, once sometime between 10 am and noon, and then dinner usually between 4 and 6. TOday I had scrambled eggs, toast and juice around noon and am making fish, potatoes and broccoli for dinner around 4ish.
Sometimes I have to consciously remind myself to eat. My stomach will be growling and I'll realize I haven't eaten since yesterday.
I do have a bad cookie habit too. Well one thing at a time. Hope you feel better! Maybe you ought to see the doc.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thats your body telling you you're hungry!!
Weird feeling isn't it?
I have the exact same thing.
I guess five thousand calories a day of beer was masking that, and I got used to not eating all day.
Now I like breakfast.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dan Dare View Post
Thanks everyone...
It's been a half hour and I still feel week and shaky.
I'm going to lay off the coffee tomorrow and eat something and see how that helps.
I agree I should get a blood test also. I'll keep you posted. In the meantime if anyone had had this experience and had done something that they found helped let us know, thanks alot!

D.D.
If I feel dizzy, it's usually because I haven't been nourishing my body. I eat something and I feel better. I may not feel hungry, but once I start eating, my appetite comes back mid-meal.

Guess I went for years ignoring my body's signals. For me, being hungry was a good thing. It meant I would get a better buzz from the beer.