Notices

Another Moderation Update

Old 10-23-2012, 10:51 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Zimmy, I think you will find that just quitting is much less effort than moderating. I am the designated driver by default now that I am sober. I like the freedom of being able to get into my car and drive ( soberly) at ant time.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Saved By Grace

Does AA regard alcoholism as a disease and likened to an allergy one experiences when they take that first sip? 'CHECK'

Do they believe that willpower can't cure the alcoholic? "We couldn't find an easier softer way." 'CHECK'

I've been to hundreds of AA meetings off and on for years and that is EXACTLY what members of AA will tell you, and the beliefs found in the Big Book.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

many people on this site are still drinking
many people on this site have relapsed
many people are hoping for support and looking for help to make their lives better, not ridicule.

it's not one group's mission in life to determine what anyone else needs to think or be educated in their chosen program. I think the term is Attraction not Promotion.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:02 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
looking for help to make their lives better, not ridicule.
And they do that by.... ridiculing AA???????

This thread is way past getting locked and hopefully deleted, I guess the mods are not around today, a well deserved break... But, I've had it with the incessant anti AA chatter.

I love SR, it has been a cornerstone of my recovery. I try to give back, but frankly, lately, I sign off feeling frustrated and angry... I know, I know... I need to inventory it and see my part in it... But c'mon, people, speak from experience, not opinion or something you heard, or thought you heard.... SR is better than that.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

BBThumper, I know what the AMA said, that is the easy part. You can learn that the AMA voted in 1956 to accept this definition so that Doctors can make insurance claims, and that 'It is significant that a survey of doctors attending an annual conference of the the International Doctors in Alcoholics Anonymous (IDAA) found that 80% believed that alcoholism is simply bad behavior - - not a disease'.

Let's not derail OP's discussion further - please pm me and I can show you where you can find more info if you are interested.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:20 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I don't believe anyone ridicules AA here.

It's just that it is not the only way, and I say that from a totally unbiased POV.

I do not have first hand experience of AA either, but I have seen it/felt it through my brothers eyes (15 years and many many relapses with dire consequences although only himself to blame)

Everyone trys to give back but....gently does it?
Old 10-23-2012, 11:22 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
It is significant that a survey of doctors attending an annual conference of the the International Doctors in Alcoholics Anonymous (IDAA) found that 80% believed that alcoholism is simply bad behavior - - not a disease'.
Which is not very different from AA itself, AA, however, has no opinion on whether it is a disease or not... Illness is the term they use.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Shall we all be sensible members and just close this thread nicely ourselves right now?

Somehow, from somewhere deep in my English Lit days, "Lord of the Flies" is coming back to me :>)

Good morning/afternoon/evening allx
Old 10-23-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zimmy View Post
Alcohol allergy that causes someone to overconsume? Please.
Maybe not ridicule, but maybe it is... IDK... Maybe just ignorance. Willful ignorance...

I have been a member of SR for over 4 years now, and at no time was the anti AA rhetoric and posts so plentiful as it is now...

I have learned much from from my non AA brothers and sisters here at SR and have no desire to paint everyone with the same brush... But it's not my imagination that the anti 12 step feeling around here has been greater than at anytime that I have been a member here....
Old 10-23-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Shall we all be sensible members and just close this thread nicely ourselves right now?

Somehow, from somewhere deep in my English Lit days, "Lord of the Flies" is coming back to me :>)

Good morning/afternoon/evening allx
Old 10-23-2012, 11:29 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I'm done...

Old 10-23-2012, 11:33 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
Maybe not ridicule, but maybe it is... IDK... Maybe just ignorance. Willful ignorance...

I have been a member of SR for over 4 years now, and at no time was the anti AA rhetoric and posts so plentiful as it is now...

I have learned much from from my non AA brothers and sisters here at SR and have no desire to paint everyone with the same brush... But it's not my imagination that the anti 12 step feeling around here has been greater than at anytime that I have been a member here....
I have the utmost respect for anyone who gets sober,however they do it.This thread aside, I don't think people are anti AA-if it works for you that's great. I don't use AA personally,have nothing against it at all and would never criticize but do get upset when told by AA'ers that it is the only way-I've noticed a great deal of promotion of AA on newcomers threads recently as if 12step recovery is the only way.Maybe people see things differently
Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

sorry only just seen suggestions to close
Old 10-23-2012, 11:35 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Ladies and Gentlemen, I remind you of the essential nature of the Newcomers Forum. If you cannot be respectful of the choices of others here, then I recommend that you take a break from your keyboard.

The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)