Notices

why is it so hard?

Old 10-21-2012, 06:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

why is it so hard?

like my title, why the heck is it soooooooooooooooo hard? to find help, to stay sober, to function? why cant it just be easy, even for a day, even for an hour a day.. struggling and have rang every number I have, just want to stay sober and have no idea how to do it.. Wish like heck I never met alcohol at all.. where does one go from that thought to action?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

First, welcome to SR. You will find a lot of help here

What have you been doing so far to stay sober? What support system are you using?
Old 10-21-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thank you. Ive spoken to my dr and been given wean off meds, Ive told my parents so I have support for my daughter, women for sobriety have been helpful too.. but i dont know if i can do it, i am so afraid.. Im too scared to face the issues that caused me to drink, so i feel stuck.. the big picture seems waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay to big..
Old 10-21-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

This is a good place, read some posts and I am sure you will find support and inspiration. Hang in there.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Trying

Changing our life is hard, especially if it's a life we've had for years - there's a lot of support here tho - you're not alone.

SR really helped me

There are other support groups available too - I'm assuming you're in Victoria Australia and not Canada

Alcoholics Anonymous

SMART Recovery Australia |

Welcome to DRUG ARM! | DRUG ARM

in Victoria:

DirectLine offers a 24 hour, 7 day a week confidential alcohol and drug counselling and referral service.
Vic: 1800 888 236
Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

You don't need to look at the big picture. Keep it simple. Don't drink today, reach out to your support group (and although parents can be supportive, unless they are in recovery they will have no idea what youre going through) so your support should be other people in recovery
Post on this site, and take time to read other posts. You can do this. You do not need to fix your whole world. First just get some sober time put together. The rest will sort itself out
But you have to start at the beginning, which is to stop drinking.

There are so many of us on here who had destroyed parts of our lives. Once we got sober, that stuff was much easier to sort out.
Old 10-21-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trying77 View Post
like my title, why the heck is it soooooooooooooooo hard? to find help, to stay sober, to function? why cant it just be easy, even for a day, even for an hour a day.. struggling and have rang every number I have, just want to stay sober and have no idea how to do it.. Wish like heck I never met alcohol at all.. where does one go from that thought to action?
I found sobriety, sanity and serenity in the fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Please Google and read AA's "The Doctors Opinion" , "How It Works" and "The Promises of Alcoholics Anonymous". See if you can identify.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 10-21-2012, 06:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I also felt like you do and it stopped me from getting sober for a long time.

The truth is, you can get through all the stuff and you will. Just take it slow. Try to accomplish something each day that will help you feel like you are getting your life in order. Make a list, prioritize and take small steps.

You can do this!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You just have to not drink one minute, one hour, one day at a time. With time your desire to drink will go away and you'll start to feel better. Just don't drink today!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I understand, trying! I have been trying to get sober for about 4 years - in and out of meetings and to rehab once. No, it's not easy. The hardest part is to learn to deal with life without alcohol. But, as I have learned (take with a grain of salt from a person with a whopping 2 days), each time you do something differently (like NOT drinking and doing something else like posting here instead) it gets easier to make the healthy choice. Welcome to SR!
Old 10-21-2012, 07:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Trying77 welcome!! It is hard. We all get it. You're changing a lifestyle and going through physical changes to heal as well. I wish I never met alcohol either!! Just take it in small steps and don't pick up a drink. Be kind to yourself
Old 10-21-2012, 08:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Try,
Welcome. It gets much easier with time. Not a week but a month, then not 6 weeks but six months, and then not one year but two, pass so quickly once you are over the initial adjustments. Then you get to choose what top do with your life, and the difference between that stage and the effort you put into finding your dream and doing it is the difference in making it for good.

You have already started by posting here. Now join AA or get into counseling or both like I did. Get your medical Doc dialed in to how much honestly, how long, and what. Then just follow these two steps that if followed to the letter, work every time.

1. Don't drink.
2. Repeat as necessary.
3. If it gets difficult, do steps one and two.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

thank you all so much. I failed today, I think I was overwhelmed with the fact people care, since it has been so long since I cared.. I will not beat myself up, but I did ring my Dr again and will make tomorrow a better day, or at least a sober day. I am so freaking glad this place exists, I am indeed not alone. means more than I can say.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

dust yourself off and get back in the saddle. this place is a wonderful place for support and encouragement. i'm glad you've found us! keep up the good work.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard Trying, as i found out it is one day at a time and time keeps moving.
Old 10-22-2012, 02:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
NAIOU

You are in the right place here at SR. There are a lot of good people here that are willing to help you if you ask for help. Go into the chat room and get to know some people. SR also has a meeting on Tues. and Fri. at 9pm est. Ask and you will receive. Hope this helps. Good luck on your journey. Logo
Old 10-22-2012, 08:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

logo, where do I go to for the SR meetings?
Old 10-22-2012, 08:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Duplicate, sorry.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Re-Member

If you are willing to do whatever it takes to take back your life you can, with help here, and in my town I took it back and recovered. Unreachable, heck incomprehensible to me two years ago. I had failed at quitting too many times, and had given up ever breaking free. I loved drinking when it was voluntary. Hated it when it became mandatory.

It is no longer manatory because I don't voluntarily now. Check, and mate.

The only way to win at this game is not to play.

You have come to the right place. Welcome!

JLMP, meetings are in the chat room. Go here for schedules, just scroll down past the locked threads at the top:
Chat Meetings and Chat Discussions - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 10-22-2012, 09:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I know it is hard...I too drank to numb my emotions. Just take it one day at a time, sometimes one hour or minute. Keep posting & hang in there!