Notices

My First Shot at starting a Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 03:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First Shot at starting a Thread

Well, here is the issue. I just noticed that my recent posts indicate that I joined SR in Oct of this year, where both my early posts and my profile page show that I joined in Apr. of this year. So, no big deal, right? I did change my ISP in Oct this year, perhaps that is the reason, still no big issue, which is my point.
Before I had my last drink (and with each sober day it does seem more possible that it really was my last drink) last April, I very likely would have found this to be a big deal, now I find it quite unimportand. That I do find to be a big issue; some things that would have once stressed me out seem so minor now. Anyone else notice stuff like is as their non-drinking time increases, or that things not thought of much before do now seem quite importand, like staying healthy, being rational (or trying to be so, sunsets or rises, etc. and whatever?
OK, I will fess up; I also wanted to see if I could figure out how to start a thread---Best to all, and many thanks for much support---Rick

Last edited by ricmcc; 10-20-2012 at 03:47 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-20-2012, 03:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good to hear some of he things that stressed you now seem less important. I feel a little on edge about little thing right now, so I'm trying to work through that. I have noticed little things being more significant, like the beautiful fall trees, clouds, that kind of stuff!
Old 10-20-2012, 04:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

You got the thread thing down Rick
As far as SR goes, your join date, and all you posts, suggest you joined in October?

D
Old 10-20-2012, 06:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are quite correct, D, I did start in Oct., I now realise. I was forced to spend the summer away from home, while addressing my need to stop drinking,and get my meds in order, and during this time I did join a chat group called 50-plus something or other which I quickly left when it became apparent that it was a sort of dating site for people over 50, which is not bad per se, just not to my interest as I am quite happily married. Please let me assure you that mistake was an honest one, if careless, and strikes me as more comic than life or sobriety threatening, which such a silly and public blunder might well have been before I stopped drinking Apr 30th of this year, at which time I also started to take my meds properly, not at a fraction of the prescibed dose. The Apr 30th quit date I am very certain of however Just an honest mistakeby me, despite the fact that I furthered my point on a silly and quite publicly false premise. I am sorry to have mistaken a site I value greatly, SR, for a site I visited only a couple of times. The important point is that the posts I have made here have been honest, and that I really am beginning to feel like I might be in actual recovery now, not just between drinks. And of course that I am aware that the support I have found here has been of great value to me. Of less importance is that I must read my join date in the day, month year format, rather than the year, month, date formay I used to use a work. A silly mistake, as I have said, and thanks for catching it ----all the best, Rick
Old 10-20-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

welcome rick, its awesome that you started a thread. Your length of sobriety is great, it is awesome to hear that it gets easier too.
Old 10-20-2012, 09:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Yes, Rick you seem to have it. We drink to alleviate problems that were caused by drinking after all. I drank to self medicate my depression and anxiety, and it wasn't until a couple of weeks after I stopped drinking that it became obvious that my drinking was the main cause of my depression and anxiety.

So anyway, carry on with your awesome sobriety, great to have you hear again / still / once more, and keep posting!
Old 10-20-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on that sober time - ain't it cool? Keep at it - the irritation factor at those little things get less and less as time goes on. Lost everything on my desktop at work yesterday - 2 years of blood, sweat, and tears. A year ago I would have gone totally ballistic. Yesterday, a few choice words in a text message to my supervisor and a big laugh and it was over. Not striving for perfection, just improvement. Was a big win for me. Important and not important absolutley take on a new meaning. Great job, ricmcc - you are doing fantastic! NBC