Notices

Just When I Thought I Had this Licked...

Old 10-19-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just When I Thought I Had this Licked...

Trigger! I would literally do almost anything for a drink right now. It is a 100% mental trigger based craving, but it is driving me completely insane. I have been up since 5:00 am, took my child to daycare, ran, cleaned the house, washed my hair, went to work, worked until 5:00 pm without even eating or getting up to use the restroom at a very mentally stressful and difficult job, flew out of my job to pick up my child, made her dinner while she spilled things all over the place while I simultaneously tried to take a conference call I couldn't reschedule, got her in bed, worked 3 more hours and now, it's 9:00 pm.

And I would murder someone for a bottle (2 bottles) of wine. It physically aches how badly I want to stop the whirring around me and be calm but cannot. This is how this whole thing became a habit and not a social thing like it is for others. Coincidentally, I have been told 3x this week by 3 different groups of coworkers that I need to drink to handle the stress of my job. I wish.

I am only glad I threw all the liquor away and my daughter is sleeping or would surely have relapsed by now.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds like quite a stressful day. I feel the same way about something to drink right now, but my day was just the opposite; absolutely nothing going on.

Congrats on staying sober, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

It's called handling life on life's terms. No, it isn't easy right now, but millions of people do it every day. It will get easier, but it's going to be rough going for a while until you learn how to deal with life without numbing yourself. You can do it. We're here for support, and you might consider finding some face-to-face support too. Hang in there.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I hear ya dogmamma I wanted to drink this evening too. I went out for a nice dinner w my husband and I wanted wine so bad I was miserable.Ruined my dinner. I am only on day 5 but the earlier part of the week went better.
Heres to a better tomorrow
Old 10-19-2012, 07:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's an acronym a lot of people use to help them remember common things that we really need to keep an eye on, lest we come unstuck.

It's called HALT - Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired - it's a good idea to remember that and do what we can to not to let any of those get too out of hand, DM.

Of course the same goes for anything else that might trigger us...I would often let myself get overwhelmed with responsibilities - the stress and frustration there would lead to cravings...

I've learned to be more realistic in my goals now, and to delegate.

I'm glad you negotiated your day too

D
Old 10-19-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pooky View Post
I hear ya dogmamma I wanted to drink this evening too. I went out for a nice dinner w my husband and I wanted wine so bad I was miserable.Ruined my dinner. I am only on day 5 but the earlier part of the week went better.
Heres to a better tomorrow
Day 5 here too! Glad we made it though!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
There's an acronym a lot of people use to help them remember common things that we really need to keep an eye on, lest we come unstuck.

It's called HALT - Hungry, Angry, Lonely, and Tired - it's a good idea to remember that and do what we can to not to let any of those get too out of hand, DM.

Of course the same goes for anything else that might trigger us...I would often let myself get overwhelmed with responsibilities - the stress and frustration there would lead to cravings...

I've learned to be more realistic in my goals now, and to delegate.

I'm glad you negotiated your day too

D
I like that : HALT. That accounts for 100% of my drinking.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Your days sound like my days! Glad you made it through!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:01 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Day 7 here. I work in a high travel / long hours job and that was my excuse for drinking (at least the last ten years). I work closely with two people that are ragging (although active) alcoholics (as well as umpteen tobacco users). If it can be chewed, smoked or drank, I am exposed to it.

Just think how well you did after such a hard, long, stressful day, that tomorrow you will wake and smile and can say "I'm sober"!!

I now wake up every morning and have to remind myself that I did not drink last night, that makes me realize how many nights I went to sleep drunk.

Toss
Old 10-19-2012, 08:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Dogmamma, hang on there. You're an inspiration to me. As a single mother who is terrified about the prospect of starting work, I keep telling myself that staying sober while juggling the overwhelming demands of life will be impossible. You are proving that it can be done. You are beating cravings. Thank you for sharing that.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I used to drink mostly to unwind from hectic and chaotic days, between work and personal life. Initially it was really hard to figure out how to relax and deal with everything sober. I'm only three months into it, but I did notice by the second week my whole life became much more calm and manageable without booze. Now I wonder how I actually did it all while drinking. I feel like I have so much more time now, that frenzied pace is gone. Stick with it, you're learning a whole new set of behaviors and attitudes. It doesn't happen like magic, but things will get better!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeFall View Post
I used to drink mostly to unwind from hectic and chaotic days, between work and personal life. Initially it was really hard to figure out how to relax and deal with everything sober. I'm only three months into it, but I did notice by the second week my whole life became much more calm and manageable without booze. Now I wonder how I actually did it all while drinking. I feel like I have so much more time now, that frenzied pace is gone. Stick with it, you're learning a whole new set of behaviors and attitudes. It doesn't happen like magic, but things will get better!
It is MUCH easier to get things done now.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CommunityDawn View Post
Dogmamma, hang on there. You're an inspiration to me. As a single mother who is terrified about the prospect of starting work, I keep telling myself that staying sober while juggling the overwhelming demands of life will be impossible. You are proving that it can be done. You are beating cravings. Thank you for sharing that.
You can do it too! It's actually easier to do when you aren't hungover or preoccupied with when you can drink again. It's always hard to be a single mom, but it's easier without alcohol. I am dying for a drink tonight, but I can't deny it's easier without.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

What I do when I am stressed like this and tired..... I go to bed. Things always look better in the morning and I will wake up sober and rested. Sometimes it is about living for another day.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by duane1 View Post
What I do when I am stressed like this and tired..... I go to bed. Things always look better in the morning and I will wake up sober and rested. Sometimes it is about living for another day.
In bed with 2 iPhones and an iPad. Trying to detach from work, but I'm getting better since I at least got in pjs and got in bed.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Momma told me there would be days like this. You folks are doing great, you are feeling the pinch a little, but your success shows you that this is nothing that you can't deal with. And seriously, of course your addiction will raise holy heck to get another drink, that can't be a surprise. It is just a small part of the package you signed up for, and never forget what else is in the box.

You are proving to yourself that your urge to take that drink does not have the power it used to, that power is shifting into your hands, exactly where it belongs. Onward!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:19 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

an urge to drink isn't the same thing as drinking. we're alcoholics in recovery, not saints. you've had an amazingly stressful day but you've pulled through. i hope you're able to take some time for yourself this weekend. clap yourself on the back for making it through and pencil in some you time ASAP!