Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Am I the only one here who can be easily unsettled by small troubles?

Notices

Old 10-19-2012, 09:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...

Hi, all. I hope, things are going good for you.

I'm almost through my Day 5, which is Friday and the start of the weekend. I'm glad that I managed to keep the promise I'd given myself for this Friday "No wine, no cookies to compensate wine". So I stuck to healthy food and stayed within my 1500 calories boundaries. And I dragged myself out of bed at 5.30 a.m. to get to my 7 a.m. workout with a personal trainer. He is a very positive person and working out with him is a great way for me to start a day.

So my day was quite fine until… I scratched my car in the parking lot. Just absolutely foolishly did it. I am a good driver and have no problem with a parking job, and here we are! I was so mad at myself!

Well. SomehowI took a deep breath and told myself that when I get home, I am not going to have a glass of wine to soothe these feelings about me being an idiot. And, actually, I did not want wine.

It made me realize that when I faced some major troubles, or even some tragic situations in my life, I never drank, but got myself together and focused on what should be done about that. And it just drives me crazy, that I can deal with serious troubles, handle a lot of things, but some foolish small stuff can just unsettle me and make feel like I am screwing everything up. I know it is not true, but still.

Anyone is like me here?

Sorry for whimpering about some little scratch on my car. After all, I am sober on Friday evening, though still pissed at myself.

Have a great and sober weekend!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Not Alone

Ha I do things all the time that really annoy me. Earlier I discovered I had a long scuff mark on a really nice pair of suede boots. I went ~%&####@@@@@ over it. Then I sat down and realised it was a pair of boots. And I moved on lol. But no you are not alone. It is very common for people in early recovery to get annoyed over the most incredibly slightest things.
Old 10-19-2012, 11:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

We do tend to make mountains out of molehills.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:20 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi MidnightBlue

It wasnt quite the same for me because I drank over everything.

By the time I stopped drinking I was using drinking to cope with every situation - so even the littlest things were hard for me to deal with, sober.

I soon got a lot better at it tho - and I know you will too.

I'm sorry about your car

D
Old 10-19-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi MidnightBlue

I soon got a lot better at it tho - and I know you will too.

D
Thank you, Dee74.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have always been the same too MidnightBlue. I would be fine in a crisis but stupid little things would normally send me over the edge. I think it is frustration with myself when I do little things wrong, or it might just be 'the straw that broke the camel's back' kind of situation. I was quite chuffed yesterday though because I thought I had lost my phone but didn't panic and actually didn't think about drinking! Probably a first for me. It is amazing what little things will make us want to drink!
Old 10-19-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Kza

Someone said a few days ago that it's not sobrietys fault when sth goes wrong and that helped me. I sent my son a present, when I called him yesterday, he was upset, he is 8, he didn't get it yet. I called him again today and he wasn't very talkative, also because of what has happened divorce wise with my ex. It is not sobrietys fault that he didn't get the present or that him being upset made me feel bad. Drinking won't help him or me and is the reason I can't see him.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Kza

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
We do tend to make mountains out of molehills.
Is that so we can then drink or is it because alcohol has caused us to have less coping skills.
Old 10-19-2012, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Midnight you are doing fantastic! Guilty as charged here! I can handle and think through major issues but burn a batch of cookies and I'm likely to go postal - well I used to much more often than now. I now find I can talk myself off the ledge and shrug most things off. Hang in there and welcome to SR - really glad you are here with us!
Old 10-19-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kza View Post
Is that so we can then drink or is it because alcohol has caused us to have less coping skills.
I think it is probably a bit of both x
Old 10-19-2012, 06:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Tomorrow will be one week, and I am SO irritable and cranky and emotional. Everything makes me angry. I am actually scaring myself today.

So, I understand a bit where you're at.