SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Nervous about the weekend. (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/271639-nervous-about-weekend.html)

jakec 10-19-2012 09:15 AM

Nervous about the weekend.

I haven't spent a weekend sober is god knows how long.. I'm on Day 2 right now of not using.. I'm not aloud out of the house because my mom understandably has no trust for me..

I'm really nervous about doing something stupid so I really need to keep myself occupied. Anyone have any suggestions of what I could do? :o

Natom 10-19-2012 09:50 AM

Hey Jake,

You are right you do need to keep yourself busy. Are you attending any groups like AA or NA, or SMART or anything like that. If you are then get yourself to as many meetings as possible. Ring up the helpline for your country and they will direct you to your closest meeting.

If not then I suggest spending the weekend on here. Looking at other peoples experience or reading some recovery based literature. However if none of that appeals to you try getting in touch with nature. Go for a walk in the park or down the beach. Just whatever you do, do not drink/use. If you get an urge, sit down, and for 5 minutes think about all the crap that has gone on because of your drinking or using. And if you still have the urge do it for another 5 minutes. And if it gets too strong come on here and write about it because all we will do is offer you a ton of support :) Well done mate.

jakec 10-19-2012 10:04 AM

Thank you natom! (:

I do not attend any meetings because I am practicing AVRT. But I go to out-patient counseling which I have today thankfully.

artsoul 10-19-2012 10:15 AM

Hey Jake -

The first weekend is always the hardest, but you'll find that once it's behind you, you'll feel really good about getting through it. I like Natom's suggestion of coming here and reading - that's what I did and it really helped keep me motivated.

Remember, they're just days like any other - it's all in our head, which is where we fight the battle. I don't know what you like to do, but I like working with my hands so I keep myself busy that way. You could also help your mom (!), wash the car, whatever...... it does get easier the longer you stay clean/sober.

MIRecovery 10-19-2012 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by jakec (Post 3632539)
Thank you natom! (:

I do not attend any meetings because I am practicing AVRT. But I go to out-patient counseling which I have today thankfully.

There is no reason I can see that you can not practice AVRT and go to meetings. I found AVRT to be very benefical early in sobriety and I was going to AA. Granted the author of AVRT is very anti-AA and the disease model but I do not see that there is any major conflict between the two at least on a day to day basis

freshstart57 10-19-2012 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by jakec
I'm really nervous about doing something stupid so I really need to keep myself occupied.

Glad to have you posting again, jakec, and well done on your sobriety. I guess you understand that getting sober is up to you simply because you get to choose whether you drink or not, or use or not. You are taking responsibility for your drinking, and taking responsibility for your sobriety too, and these are great courageous things to have done.

I guess you also know that any thought of drinking/using again, or any idea of self doubt that you will be successful, all such thoughts come from that urge to get high and drunk, not from you. You know how to recognize the Addictive Voice when it speaks up and what to do about it - you accept that it will whine from time to time, and that it doesn't have any power over you anymore.

Like ArtSoul says, this is all a mental puzzle because the present moment is 'now', no matter what the day on the calendar is, and Friday is no different than others except in how we think of it. Have you made a plan about continuing to drink or use now and in the future?

As for what to do, you seem to be confined to quarters for a while, look into 'urge surfing'. It ties in very well with AVRT and is something that you can do anytime, no meeting required. Of course, you should post here if you would like some support. Check out the chat line too, there is almost always someone there.

You can do this, JakeC, you have the ability to choose.

Anna 10-19-2012 12:02 PM

I'm glad that AVRT is working well for you, Jake.

I was lucky to find a volunteer position that really helped me to get outside of myself. I know you can get through ther weekend.

Dejvice 10-19-2012 12:23 PM

I was alone first weekend without family. Figured if I could do first weekend alone then it would be a major milestone. Did the weekend alone and went from there....now on day 50 and still sober. That weekend alone watched movies.....even Rocky 1. Just focused on not drinking.....because I wanted to break the cycle so badly so that my family could have a better life. Also that weekend read loads on this site....which really helped. After the weekend I really felt so good inside when my family returned and I had not touched a drop.....and just seeing my family after 3 days was what I needed to keep me going for another week.

so be a man and show your mom what you can do and what you are made from..........You can do it.

Dee74 10-19-2012 12:59 PM

Sticking close to SR those first few weekends really helped me Jake :)

D