SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Just what are the symptoms of Detox (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/271636-just-what-symptoms-detox.html)

escapist 10-19-2012 07:48 AM

Just what are the symptoms of Detox

I am baffled. I have been sober for 5 days now. Yesterday I woke up at 5:00 am feeling peaceful and alert. The day proceeded to become unbearable. I went to the office and by 2:00 pm I was back where I started (without an actual hangover) Nervous, staring at the clock counting the MINUTES that I had made it without a drink. I dealt with 2 employees and thought I was going to start screaming. I nearly hung up on my CPA . He wanted to talk about the political debates. I just wanted to say I don't give a rats a-- about anything I am trying to stay sober. My family calls me and I don't pick up because I can't handle talking to them. I don't want to tell them I stopped drinking because I don't want to hear how I am supposed to be doing it or how I probably wont do it. I am the only living drunk in my family. I got home sober I felt like I had a bad flu. My legs were stiff, I could hardly climb the stairs, my whole body hurt. I felt like I had a fever. I took an Advil PM and a shower. Went to bed at 9:00 pm and slept until 9:00 am . I also have a very dry mouth. I am drinking lots of water. I never want to drink again. I feel nuts. Is this ok and how long will this last?

stairs 10-19-2012 07:59 AM

Yes! I was sore and dehydrated for awhile too. I think it's great that you are not dealing with anyone unless absolutely necessary. I didn't even answer the door for the first couple weeks. I didn't care who it was; I wasn't going to deal with it. "It's ME time".
I guess it varies as to how long it lasts. Depends on the person, how much you were drinking/using, etc etc. But it all means that you are healing and that is GOOD!! :) Keep going! You can do this. :You_Rock_

Choppersled 10-19-2012 08:43 AM

Escapist, I have quit a couple times and for me I'm always an a-hole for a good week or better. Not on purpose but very, very short. I told my wife to excuse me, but I might not be myself for a little while and she understood. So to me, I can relate to what you are saying.

Auvers 10-19-2012 09:35 AM

Escapist, great that you have got 5 days. If you have not read up about Post Acute Withdrawal, you might want to do so. The odd, somewhat unpleasant stuff lingers quite a while. It is the effect of your brain functioning without the alcohol ingestion periodically. Eventually it gets lots better, but you may have 3 months or longer with some of the symptoms. And it seems everyone is different. I saw gradual improvement and then a nice jump forward getting close to 3 months. But even with the PAWS, life was still better sober than when hungover or drunk. Lots of good wishes to you.

Halzuzu 10-19-2012 10:17 AM

Good job on 5 days. Same here. I had the same aches and pains all over my body for a day or 2. Felt like I had run a marathon or something. And really dry mouth yesterday. I just kept hydrated. Keep it up!

Anna 10-19-2012 10:42 AM

Detoxing is hard, and I still have vivid memories of going through it.

The thing that kept me going, was knowing that I would never have to do it again. :)

coming_clean 10-19-2012 10:44 AM

Detox....
Just make sober time and asses afterwards..
When ur in it its hard to be objective.

Dee74 10-19-2012 01:21 PM

It certainly sounds familiar to me - tho at 5 days it might just be flu - as drinkers, our immune systems take a beating...either way it will get better :)

This thread may be helpful to you to look at other peoples experiences escapist:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

D

escapist 10-19-2012 01:34 PM

Thanks everyone. My muscles are not as sore now. It is around 4:00 pm and the crazies are here. Typically, this lasts for about 3 hours . I swear I have never been so conscious of time as I have this week. There are some physical changes in me that are better than they were 5 days ago. I do not feel energetic at all. I remember the last time (which was in 04) it seemed like I noticed feeling Good around 2 weeks. Who knows ? This time around I have the onset of menopause to contend with. I feel like I am in hell.