Notices

Being grateful for sobriety

Old 10-19-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being grateful for sobriety

It has been 11 hours since my last drink. I am not sure when I will be fully sober but, when I am, I'll try and focus on valuing that sobriety.
Even an hour of being sober is worth something. One hour can become two, and so on. Then I'll have one day.
This time I will work on appreciating the fact that I am sober, even if I'm foggy headed. I will focus on not letting it go.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope you can make this your turning point CD

A lot of us dug huge great holes for ourselves - me included - I wish someone had told me I could stop digging anytime I liked..

so I'll pass that on to you now - stop digging...

You're not alone - there's a,lot of support and guiding hands - you'll be ok

D
Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee. The truth is that I'm scared - so I'm trying to trick myself into feeling safe by escaping drinking rather than using drinking to escape fear. I don't want to dig anymore. I'm afraid of what might happen. Support is really appreciated!
Old 10-19-2012, 07:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

CD,

I was sober for 14 months before I gave in New Year's Eve 2011. I told myself to stop and 10 months later, I finally did. I told myself if I could stop one day, then one more, then one more, etc.... Stopping is the easy part for me, dealing with the emotional part is the hardest because I'm actually thinking (instead of being numb).

Find the support you need to keep the ball rolling. I have been on SR every night since I stopped reading, which has not only occupied my time, but reminded me constantly why I want to remain sober.

Great thoughts flowing your way,

Toss
Old 10-19-2012, 07:48 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Toss. I'm glad you tossed it. lol. I think that being on SR whenever I think that spending a lot of time on SR will help. I have the horrors right now and am glued to this forum like an embryo in the womb.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Me to Dawn! Luckily I am scheduled to work all weekend so I won't be tempted to give in!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Cheering you on, lilgolden!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

Welcome CD! The great thing about SR is whenever you think you can't do it, you read about someone who came from the same place you're in and has done it. It's very motivating!! Also knowing someone is on 24/7 is great.

This is very profound! "so I'm trying to trick myself into feeling safe by escaping drinking rather than using drinking to escape fear" I think many of us do drink to escape things that we're fearful of. You will feel safer not drinking, and less anxious. Keep at it!!
Old 10-19-2012, 08:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back on the wagon!

SR can certainly help, just reading like listening is for me very strong.

It helps me a lot.

Hope it will too for,you. Guess it does, otherwise you wouldn't be here

Hang in there
Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

12.5 hours. Talk about breaking it down...
Old 10-19-2012, 09:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Crazy Cat Lady

i was stuck to the forums like glue in the beginning, CD. well, i still am! welcome back. it's great to have you here!
Old 10-19-2012, 09:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Ty Grits. I don't feel so silly now. :-)
Almost 13.5 hours.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Don't feel silly CD...we all understand...we've all been there...we got your back.

Sending you a big hug Down Under
Old 10-19-2012, 10:27 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CommunityDawn View Post
Thanks Toss. I'm glad you tossed it. lol. I think that being on SR whenever I think that spending a lot of time on SR will help. I have the horrors right now and am glued to this forum like an embryo in the womb.
I have been on every day too. I am wrapping up day 8 which means two sober Fridays. I spent two hours creating a plan for paying off all of our bills and paid any that were due. I have plans for saving for a trip (all of the mo eh I spent o. Wo e is going I that envelope). And have organized credit card bills with a plan for tackling them and crossing them off one at a time. I have every bill written down, and when it is due. It may take a little while, but I feel good having a plan, and I wouldn't have done that after a few glasses of wine. So now I am on here, then going to read for a little while. Just think in a few hours you will be on day 2!!!!
Old 10-19-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Just do it, one step at a time. If you slip, dont beat yourself up. You know what you want, that being an improvement in your life, and you realize that needs some changes in your life, but its your life, and you call the shots...as long as you keep growing, becoming better than you are, and closer to who you want to be....Bless you.